Search the forum,

Discuss Grout marks, chalky surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BARONARMY

Hi Guys

I have recently done some tilling in my bathroom, im pleased with the results but after grouting the mosaics there has been a chalky residue left on them (See Photo's) I installed the tiles, applied 2 coats of sealer then grouted. I have used a B&Q heavy duty tile cleaner that is suitable for these tiles, it has made an improvment but much. The tiles look great when wet, but hazy when dry.

Please could you advise on a cleaner ?
Do they need to be polished (I would like them to a have a little shine to them) could you advise on a make/type ?
Could you advise on a good sealer as these tiles will have some exposure to splashing water etc..

The photo's dont really bring out the chalky residue to well, but you can see under the bowl where i havent been scrubbing like a mad man! I also have a whole wall of this stuff that i havent grouted yet and i dont really want to be scrubbing all of that!!

Many thanks in advance

Gavin

Attachments

• IMG_0173[1].jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0174[1].jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0175[1].jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 45
E

enduro

You can get some Diamond hand pads on Ebay this would sort the problem out. Use them in the right order. Those tiles you are meant to grout these before sealing so the grout gets into the holes. Sealing first stops the grout sticking in the little holes so in time it may come out.

S

Stonehouse

Hi Gavin,

We have had similar enquiries from other clients of ours in the past.
LTP Power Stripper has worked for us, it is not acid based like some grout removers so it will not harm the travertine. Use it diluted first and see if it helps. Keep away from acid cleaners as you will damage the surface of the stone. Seal it with LTP Mattstone Sealer after the tiles have dried out for a long lasting seal or you can use Lithofin Stainstop as an alternative.

Good luck

B

BARONARMY

Thanks For the feedback guys, I will try the LTP Power cleaner.

Do you know if LTP Mattstone or Lithfin Staintop sealers will give a gloss shine to the tiles ? Having seen them wet, i quiet like them with the shine to them.

Many thanks

G

Gazzer

Did you say what the tile was made of ?
I would do a search here
LTP Online

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BARONARMY

Its a travertine mosaic tile, i really like the wet look, is there any way of keeping that look with a polish/wax or... ?

This is the cleaner that i have used from B&Q, anybody got any experiance with it ? whats your thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_0180[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
B

BARONARMY

And one other question guys, can you recommend a sealer for granite floor tiles ?

Reply to Grout marks, chalky surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen