Currently reading:
Grout marks, chalky surface

Discuss Grout marks, chalky surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BARONARMY

Hi Guys

I have recently done some tilling in my bathroom, im pleased with the results but after grouting the mosaics there has been a chalky residue left on them (See Photo's) I installed the tiles, applied 2 coats of sealer then grouted. I have used a B&Q heavy duty tile cleaner that is suitable for these tiles, it has made an improvment but much. The tiles look great when wet, but hazy when dry.

Please could you advise on a cleaner ?
Do they need to be polished (I would like them to a have a little shine to them) could you advise on a make/type ?
Could you advise on a good sealer as these tiles will have some exposure to splashing water etc..

The photo's dont really bring out the chalky residue to well, but you can see under the bowl where i havent been scrubbing like a mad man! I also have a whole wall of this stuff that i havent grouted yet and i dont really want to be scrubbing all of that!!

Many thanks in advance

Gavin

Attachments

• IMG_0173[1].jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0174[1].jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0175[1].jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 48
S

Stonehouse

Hi Gavin,

We have had similar enquiries from other clients of ours in the past.
LTP Power Stripper has worked for us, it is not acid based like some grout removers so it will not harm the travertine. Use it diluted first and see if it helps. Keep away from acid cleaners as you will damage the surface of the stone. Seal it with LTP Mattstone Sealer after the tiles have dried out for a long lasting seal or you can use Lithofin Stainstop as an alternative.

Good luck

T

Topshop

If you want to seal granite floor tiles you should use a penetrating sealer and not a topical. A topical will leave the natural stone looking fake and not allow moisture to escape the stone causing it to spall. I like to use a sealer like stonetech bulletproofer because it leaves all stones looking natural, doesn't stink because it is water based, and is a good all purpose sealer for most natural stones.

If you want to polish the travertine mosaic you will need some diamond pads or diamond grit brushes to bring the surface up to a 200 or 400 finish then use a white 3m pad or a tampico brush and some 5x polish to do it right. Use the brushes if you want to keep the the tumbled look instead of a diamond pad for the level surface. The 5x is oxailic acid mixed with other good stuff that will create a natural shine on the travertine. This is the proper way to polish calcium based stones like marble, travertine, and limestone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Grout marks, chalky surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this notification but what was the out come at the end as I have just had a xylophone installed and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.