Search the forum,

Discuss Green chipboard preparation in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Silver Birch

Hi AGAIN
Prior to laying hardi over green chipboard, will I need to prime or sand before laying hardi on thinset??
Cheers

S

Stef

Yeah, clean up boards & prime using a suitable primer not PVA.
Mix your adhesive slightly wet to fix your Hardie down & screw using 25mm turbo golds or similar.
Easier to dry lay your boards & draw round them then you can fix one at a time, I walk all over my boards before screw so they are well fixed..

Q

Qwerty

^^^^^ What he said!!! ^^^^^ [emoji6]

Make sure the boards are suitably fixed and free of deflection too [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just Rizzle

instead of using hardy have u thought of using ditra matting
prime chip board apply flexi addy on 4mm bed roll in pre prepared ditra matting staple down with galvenised staples. i use this method for past 10 yrs. if the floor is uneven skim over the matting with flexi leveler such as weber flex. as i do most of my work on a price basis this method takes about a quarter of the time it takes to put down hardi. also the matting acts as a dpm and is totally water proof use shulter tape over joints. ideal for wet rooms

W

White Room

instead of using hardy have u thought of using ditra matting
prime chip board apply flexi addy on 4mm bed roll in pre prepared ditra matting staple down with galvenised staples. i use this method for past 10 yrs. if the floor is uneven skim over the matting with flexi leveler such as weber flex. as i do most of my work on a price basis this method takes about a quarter of the time it takes to put down hardi. also the matting acts as a dpm and is totally water proof use shulter tape over joints. ideal for wet rooms

You cannot be serious
tennis-094.gif

J

Just Rizzle

5 yrs ago had a contract for 52 wet rooms every one the same green chip board floors and walls tanked every one with ditra and kerdy matting had to give 3 year guarentee.the tiles we used were 25mm mosaic 3mm thick consulted with shulter for advice. jobs done. zero failures. the germans have been using these systems for years.it also reduces the hight of the job nothing looks worse than a large step up on to a tiled area

J

Just Rizzle

Nothing wrong with Schluter but stapling them to the floor is the issue...
why holds the matting down when get to end of roll. using a decoupling membrain is a far better method than using a backer board on floor substrates which have deflection and movement

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
why holds the matting down when get to end of roll. using a decoupling membrain is a far better method than using a backer board on floor substrates which have deflection and movement

I was under the impression a decoupling membrane was for lateral movement and not deflection..?

Reply to Green chipboard preparation in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen