Search the forum,

Discuss granfix wall grout 10kg bags (danger) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ozboz

Gotta say I'm not keen on granfix, Mapei Man now, Top products and top tech help and back up. I refused to use granfix grout on a granite job last year, the shopfitters director copped a serve from the supplier who phoned granfix, some one at granfix informed us that 90% of the trade uses granfix ?!! I began to wonder what the other 10% uses !! Anyway I got my own way, they came up with norcross light grey flexible, gotta say it was xlnt! real easy to spread and wash off ,3mm joints 15 mm thick exfoliated black granite, about 200m2 in all Sorted !

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paul flight

you must use waterprof adhesive in wet areas and have 100% cover to back of tiles ! the tiles would not come off if fix with correct materials this may be you problem??

V

vpproddy

I used granfix superfix adhesive the tiles were ceramic.these few call backs are the first ones I've had in 17 years.when I phoned granfix tech dept they told me the 10kg bags of grout are not sutible for showers and said the grout is only splashproof

M

Mike

This is the first post by this member and at least 3 of the replies have contained comments bordering on churlish and 1 removed by administration.
I'am sure even a regular contributor would find the tone unacceptable and wonder what's the point of posting.
If you haven't got anything constructive/helpful/amusing to add why bother.
This is my opinion of this threads content.
I was taught that no grout was waterproof just water resistent, hence the requirement of tanking shower areas. if the grout fails and water gets behind the tile then the tiles are likely to fall off due to possible substrate damage or tubbed addy breaking down due to the addy getting soaked. I always use granfix with no problems but i always tank the walls. only takes half an hour with a roller!

R

Richard Edwards

Hello

I've read all the posts on this subject and all through, almost to the end, some members have been asking for further info on preparation, adhesive, grout and installation method used. - Clearly either, you have not done something correctly in the prep, or used in appropriate products for the application, or maybe the product failed due to manufacturing, storage or specification.

Good folks like John and others have all tried to help and asked a variety of questions, aimed at trying to understand what has gone wrong. Mostly its because they want to help and partially its because some of us use Granfix products from time to time - [as we do] and we try to gather as much info as we can to avoid similar issues.

I do not use the adhesive that you have used, however it is probably a premixed water disperstion gypsum based addy. Could you please supply some more info on the application / prep / substrate etc

1 What substrate did you tile on to. was it sound etc - type ? ?
2 Was the shower wet area tanked and if so what with ?
3 Are my assumptions re the addy correct - If not please correct ?
4 What was the time scale / weather-humidity etc between tiling and Grouting ?

One thing for certain, pre-mixed addy is not waterproof or suitable for showers / wet areas - Only use cement based product.

Tanking is critical - no tanking - no waterproofing

And finally - All grout [except Epoxy] will let water through - although adding polymers and SBR etc will stop some water ingress, and if you have used water dispersion type addy, then after a short time, if water leaks through the grouting, the adhesive will revert back to a soggy dough - ie similar to the state it was it the tub, and heh-presto your tiles fall off.

Hope you will be able to help us with some more info Mr VP Proddy - We look forward to your reply post etc

Thank you

M

mikethetile

I think you mean supergrip as granfix dont name any of their products superfix

this is totally unsuitable which is why its failing

please accept critiscm and allow us to advise you, its to your benefit

theres nothing wrong with granfix products if the correct product is used in the correct situation

D

DHTiling

you must use waterprof adhesive in wet areas and have 100% cover to back of tiles ! the tiles would not come off if fix with correct materials this may be you problem??

Can you clarify your definition of water proof adhesive please..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular (sometimes not so popular) threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

Reply to granfix wall grout 10kg bags (danger) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen