Search the forum,

Discuss Good Water resistant thick bed floor adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sam2494

Yes I know the quarry's were there because they are a breathable covering, yes it is fundamental in new builds and builds over the last 50 years however I'm working on a 1940/30's property so no integral DPM under the floor slab, used slate for internal dpc of walls and 2 course of blues for external!

We are laying porcelain tiles throughout (yes I know they aren't breathable) however after speaking with Ardex & Mapei technical departments both said exactly the same, no need to use a DPM, only real need for DPM is with timber & vinyl floors. Even with us laying porcelain floor will breathe through grout joints & eventually moisture will make its way through. Cement based adhesives will not be effected by damp they both told me along with Ardex NA self levelling. Natural salts in the ground may cause some essofflerecent coming through grout however chance of this is unlikely.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes I know the quarry's were there because they are a breathable covering, yes it is fundamental in new builds and builds over the last 50 years however I'm working on a 1940/30's property so no integral DPM under the floor slab, used slate for internal dpc of walls and 2 course of blues for external!

We are laying porcelain tiles throughout (yes I know they aren't breathable) however after speaking with Ardex & Mapei technical departments both said exactly the same, no need to use a DPM, only real need for DPM is with timber & vinyl floors. Even with us laying porcelain floor will breathe through grout joints & eventually moisture will make its way through. Cement based adhesives will not be effected by damp they both told me along with Ardex NA self levelling. Natural salts in the ground may cause some essofflerecent coming through grout however chance of this is unlikely.

Crystallasion of salts often causes swelling and forces thus generated can cause adhesive failure. ( especially with a relatively impervious tile) . Unlikely l know, nevertheless possible.

S

Sam2494

But with moisture being able to breathe and make its way through grout joints this is unlikely to happen, like you say not impossible though.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Salts will accumulate where moisture is evaporating e.g. They come out of solution and crystallise, on or near the evaporating surface.

S

Sam2494

Yes Ardex technical advised that salts could cause essofflerecent as like you say they will accumulate when they make there way through the grout joints,however the chances are highly unlikely unless we live near a lot of waste land where salts in the ground will be high.

My view was to use a epoxy DPM however both Ardex & Mapei said not to waste the money as like I've said before they said it's not necessary if tiling the floor.

Reply to Good Water resistant thick bed floor adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen