Search the forum,

Discuss giving customer option in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grahamster

When going in to quote a job for a wooden floor,do you give the customer the option of using fastflex,if floor is sound,or using 12mm plyboard or using 6mm backerboard,or do you try and point them in the way you think is best.

D

DHTiling

You are the fixer..so you should tell the customer which way you think it should be done....if there is more than one option then tell the customer which one you think is best and take it from there..............to many options can cause you grief........

G

Gazzer

Well seeing as i am against ply ( i know others are not) then i would have a few options
Tiling onto wood floor direct with Fast Flex as is my own bathroom
or
No More Ply, if i felt it would be a better way.
To me each job is different and until i saw teh job i wouldnt know.We all have our own preferences.
I generally discuss all options i think are valid with the client as there is usually a cost involved which may play a part in what way the want to go.

G

grahamster

ok thanks,i know it usually comes down to cost in the end,i was jst wondering if you gave the customer the options,still trying to get my pitch right,still quite new to this.

G

Gazzer

Right, as soon as they call asking you to give them a quote, dont just get the address. Ask what is on the floor at the moment, What is under that, is it chipboard, ply, boards etc. Ask if they have seen the tiles they want.
1, you can start thinking before you get to the job
2, You will have done some research and know your options
3, by asking about tiles it could give you the option of steering them away from B&Q etc and maybe you will be able to supply and make some extra £ that way.
4, turning up at a job for the 1st few times can leave you edgy and nervous. What the client wants to hear is you telling them the best way and the best adhesive to use, not umming and arrring over too many options.

By asking questions about the job while on the phone you will be more prepared and more confident.

W

wetdec

You are the fixer..so you should tell the customer which way you think it should be done....if there is more than one option then tell the customer which one you think is best and take it from there..............to many options can cause you grief........

Good catch :thumbsup:

D

Daz

Right, as soon as they call asking you to give them a quote, dont just get the address. Ask what is on the floor at the moment, What is under that, is it chipboard, ply, boards etc. Ask if they have seen the tiles they want.
1, you can start thinking before you get to the job
2, You will have done some research and know your options
3, by asking about tiles it could give you the option of steering them away from B&Q etc and maybe you will be able to supply and make some extra £ that way.
4, turning up at a job for the 1st few times can leave you edgy and nervous. What the client wants to hear is you telling them the best way and the best adhesive to use, not umming and arrring over too many options.

By asking questions about the job while on the phone you will be more prepared and more confident.
I agree with Sir Ramic,

I've come from a sales background and always ask loads of questions before going to look at a job. That way I have all bases covered and have a clear picture in my mind which way I will steer the customer to ensure that my life is easy and the customer gets a great job.

Reply to giving customer option in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen