Search the forum,

Discuss getting datum line spot on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spudgun

hi guys
was setting out a kitchen floor today for straight set floor tiles 300 x 300
all the walls were out of line really struggled to get my datum line straight ,measured the centre of the room transferd the measurement and joined up the two marks but when i layed the tiles out didnt look straight , what am i doing wrong also when i was using the level down the edge of the tiles to check getting different readings ,didnt matter which way i moved the level bubble just stayed the same what am doing wrong
:mad2:

D

David - Tradetiler

The bubble on a level is for leveling, not direction. Sounds like you want it to work like a compas :grin:

Join your marks with a string line, chalk line or laser line to keep the tiles straight.

You can use the level only as a straight edge in this situation

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

hi guys
was setting out a kitchen floor today for straight set floor tiles 300 x 300
all the walls were out of line really struggled to get my datum line straight ,measured the centre of the room transferd the measurement and joined up the two marks but when i layed the tiles out didnt look straight , what am i doing wrong also when i was using the level down the edge of the tiles to check getting different readings ,didnt matter which way i moved the level bubble just stayed the same what am doing wrong
:mad2:
:whatchutalkingabout

W

White Room

If the walls are that bad try doing a visual line,lay tiles dry from a door way or where you enter the room and take it from there

D

David - Tradetiler

Like I said, he wants it to work like a compas - levels are for measuring difference in height not direction.

Spudgun is pointing it in a different directions and expecting the bubble to tell him if it is lined up with his mark. Very basic mistake.

dont think he is ready to be a tiler just yet. Needs some training quick.

Hey Spudgun, I am not knocking your efforts, just trying to be helpful - I have seen the 'spirit level' mistake made many times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saltire69

Use your eyes to square them up. I always use the kitchen door as a ref. Dry lay your tiles(1 or 2 rows only) when you've centred the door the way u want it and adjust to suit and then check rest of room for cuts.

Reply to getting datum line spot on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen