Currently reading:
getting datum line spot on

Discuss getting datum line spot on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spudgun

hi guys
was setting out a kitchen floor today for straight set floor tiles 300 x 300
all the walls were out of line really struggled to get my datum line straight ,measured the centre of the room transferd the measurement and joined up the two marks but when i layed the tiles out didnt look straight , what am i doing wrong also when i was using the level down the edge of the tiles to check getting different readings ,didnt matter which way i moved the level bubble just stayed the same what am doing wrong
:mad2:

G

GazTech

hi guys
all the walls were out of line really struggled to get my datum line straight ,measured the centre of the room transferd the measurement and joined up the two marks but when i layed the tiles out didnt look straight , what am i doing wrong also when i was using the level down the edge of the tiles to check getting different readings ,didnt matter which way i moved the level bubble just stayed the same what am doing wrong
:whatchutalkingabout

D

David - Tradetiler

Like I said, he wants it to work like a compas - levels are for measuring difference in height not direction.

Spudgun is pointing it in a different directions and expecting the bubble to tell him if it is lined up with his mark. Very basic mistake.

dont think he is ready to be a tiler just yet. Needs some training quick.

Hey Spudgun, I am not knocking your efforts, just trying to be helpful - I have seen the 'spirit level' mistake made many times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

hi guys
I tend to find if you have kitchen units in there, square up to the units, if the cuts run out on the other walls then hey ho...so what, call it the character of the house.....Gaz

T

TilingLogistics

I tend to find if you have kitchen units in there, square up to the units, if the cuts run out on the other walls then hey ho...so what, call it the character of the house.....Gaz

We just restored a Jura limestone floor a couple of months back. His stone fixing was appalling but his setting out was bang on so much so the fixed island in the middle of the kitchen was about 3" out. No problem in normal circumstances but because of the stone being large formalt and brickbond it looked as though someone had just walked into the kitchen and dropped the island off anywhere.

So I think you have a good point there Gaz:thumbsup:

Kev

Reply to getting datum line spot on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.