Discuss full tiles then cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I'm nearly finished tiling my kitchen floor, i started from the back wall and tiled towards the exit doing one row at a time.
But i was thinking would it have been better to lay my first row of cuts against the back wall and then just lay all the full tiles back to the exit and done all the other cuts the following day?

Also i will soon have to tile under a fridge- what is the best method? do i leave it until the end after i have all the other tiles down? thanks

D

doug boardley

I've a feeling I've already posted a reply to a similar question from you Jonty, but anyway, what I normally do is put a lathe across the door rebate so it's half the thickness of the rebate, butt a tile up against this then run a couple of rows up the length of the room till i get to the back wall, then i lay a couple of courses 90 degrees to this length, so if you're looking through the door you see a T of tiles, while I can still reach i then cut all the tiles along the back wall, then start laying all the tiles out, including cuts down the side walls towards the exit door. When I'm happy that the layout looks ok that's when I mix my adhesive, and starting at the back wall lift a couple of courses,keeping them in order, spread adhesive to tiles that have not yet been lifted and start laying.The unlifted tiles act as a guide for your joints. I then repeat this process all the way to the door. I prefer to do it this way rather than having a day laying full tiles and the next day doing nothing but cuts! I would also move fridge,washing machine etc out before I started anything and then you can tile it all in one fell swoop
doug:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some threads in the tiling forum, don't worry if it isn't current discussion, just ignore the thread and it'll drop off the list quickly. If you do wish to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine too. Your input might be valuable and help a tiler out in the future.

Reply to full tiles then cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley