Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Tiling onto Timber Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gbh

Hi,

I have just joined the forum and would like some advice/opinions please.

I am currently renovating an 1935 house and have stripped out the bathroom. The existing floor in the bathroom is tongued and grooved pine floor boards nailed down onto timber joists.

The floor boards in general are in reasonable condition, but I am going to remove all the T&G boards and replace with 18mm plywood. I do not want to overboard the T&G as it will leave a step up into the bathroom.

I have been advised to use marine plywood as a replacement to the T&G boards and screwed down to the joists, but it is very expensive. I am thinking about using external spruce plywood at 18mm thick, and sealing the surface with PVA and then laying the tiles and adhesive on this.

Will this be acceptable? Would like to hear some opinions please?

Thanks.

Gary

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Marine ply isn't much more cost, when you look at the job as a whole. It's a much better product, the layers are bonded with more pressure and exterior glue.

no PVA ! Use acrylic primer.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When floor boards are up add more noggins to strengthen the floor and I would overboard the ply with cement boards.....perfect tiling surface..

S

Stef

As Andy states above, I would overboard that ply with a 6mm cement (Hardi) board.
I would get as many Dwangs, noggins, into the floor as I could also.

S

smoothound

just wondering why remove the original boards unless they are in bad nick? - they may be less than 18mm - just lift em - add extra noggins and check the joists are well bedded - screw the floor boards back down tight - fit the cement boards (hardi) using a thinish layer of flexible adhesive to fill gaps from board cupping etc - (some say non-flexible is OK but I prefer felxible under the hardiboards) - and use the proper anti-corrode screws - and go from there

Reply to Floor Tiling onto Timber Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen