Search the forum,

Discuss floor tiling on timber and screed in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MDD

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I don't get it right. We are carrying out work on a property and have a situation where the floor to be tiled is half screed and half timber. The client wants underfloor heating (electric). My concern is that the timber floor will move and the screed floor will not move so where they join will give rise to an obvious problem. Any help is appreciated.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Movement joint between the two substrates is essential

M

MDD

Thank you for replying can you please tell me. Would the movement joint be something like the Schluter Dilex movement joint and if so would that be all that was needed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That would be the sort of thing yes. There are some pretty good ones available so you should be able to choose one that allows you to make it a feature rather than an eyesore.

W

White Room

I'm no expert on ufh but you may need 2 seperate supplys for each part of the floor

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can't answer that either but if it is the case then it makes a movement joint even more essential cos you would split the floor into two separate zones.

P

peckers

You may want to use an insulation board on the screeded floor to stop the heat escaping threw the floor if you do this then you would want to do the same to the wooden floor so as to keep the floors the same level, you will need to create an expansion joint between the wood and the screed floors and this must carry on threw the insulation boards and also threw the tiles. then as said before use two seperate heating mats/cables as you will have two zones.

M

MDD

Hi again Thank You All for replying. To try and understand from my point of view as to what is being said.
1. An expansion joint needs to be installed along the line of the join between the timber floor and screed.
2. Insulation boards laid beneath the underfloor matting covering the whole floor with the expansion joint seperating the two floors.

If that is what is being said perhaps someone might confirm.
Would an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra be of any use??

Any help is appreciated

P

peckers

Hi again Thank You All for replying. To try and understand from my point of view as to what is being said.
1. An expansion joint needs to be installed along the line of the join between the timber floor and screed.
2. Insulation boards laid beneath the underfloor matting covering the whole floor with the expansion joint seperating the two floors.

If that is what is being said perhaps someone might confirm.
Would an uncoupling membrane such as Ditra be of any use??

Any help is appreciated

That's what I would do as to the decoupler mat what tiles are you using?

M

MDD

Thank You, Yes the join is a straight join and I have to find out what tiles are being used

Reply to floor tiling on timber and screed in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen