Search the forum,

Discuss Floor self levelling compound in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Casper

Hi
My bathroom floor is not particularly level running out of true approximately 3mm. As most flooring covering manufacturers stress the importance of having a level floor I think that I need to use self levelling compound to achieve this. Can someone please recommend a brand to use as there are many out there but with wide ranging prices. I am not looking for a rapid set mix but one that gives a longish working time and ideally would like one that can be spread down to a feather edge as I do not want to increase the floor height anymore than necessary.
I have used BAL wall tile adhesive and see that they market level max but is 2-3 times more expensive than the cheaper brands. I only want to do it once so don't want to go cheap and regret it but also don't want to be ripped off. There are also some patches of vinyl tile adhesive left on the floor which is impossible to remove.

Thanks

C

Casper

Floor area is 6.5 sq m. Am I worrying unnecessarily about the flatness ?. It seems to have a high ridge down the middle and falls away to the walls.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
blimey.. 3mm is pretty flat. if it is out by 3mm over a 2m edge it meets SR1 which is the standard that most floor coverings require. My bathroom floor falls by nearly 20mm across the width of the door... its a bu**er going to the loo in the middle of the night...

W

White Room

blimey.. 3mm is pretty flat. if it is out by 3mm over a 2m edge it meets SR1 which is the standard that most floor coverings require. My bathroom floor falls by nearly 20mm across the width of the door... its a bu**er going to the loo in the middle of the night...

Especially if you've been on the liquid gold:)

C

Casper

No RSJ underneath the floor. If I put a straight edge across the floor it has ups and downs but no more than about 3mm. From your reactions it seems that maybe it is flat enough to lay vinyl or interlocking flooring without further preparation.

W

White Room

Ultra level2 goes down 2mm minimum , most adhesive will go up to 12mm some thicker.

O

One Day

No RSJ underneath the floor. If I put a straight edge across the floor it has ups and downs but no more than about 3mm. From your reactions it seems that maybe it is flat enough to lay vinyl or interlocking flooring without further preparation.

Definitely!

Reply to Floor self levelling compound in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen