Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Prep - in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lmkitchens

Hi guys, Planning a job i have on in a few weeks.

Its an oldish house, and the bathroom floor is roughly 4.7 m x 2.25 m. I have discussed with the customer that the floor boards need to come up. I recommended straightening out the joists leveling the floor etc. So I plan to :

Remove existing boards
Straighten joists
Add noggins where required.
Lay ply, on this length will these need expansion joints? Obviously these will be staggered.

Would I be best Overboarding with Hardie - or - Laying a decoupling membrane on top?

I'm not tiling the job just prepping for my tiler and I got the impression he prefered Decoupling membrane over hardie backer.

Thanks, Luke.

T

Time's Ran Out

The decoupling will provide a fully waterproofed room if properly installed and on deflection free substrate.
Good luck.

'am I your father Luke?

L

lmkitchens

I hope not ;)

So a decoupling membrane is suitable to fix direct to ply? Using a SPF. I may get my tiler to lay the stuff anyway as long as my floor is nice and flat :D

Reply to Floor Prep - in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen