Search the forum,

Discuss Floor prep & standard set adhesive advice for a novice please! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dickyparsnips

Hi,

I have the following scenario & would be most grateful for any advise on this;

Kitchen floor in a new build house (11 yrs old) screed covered in an asphalt / bitumen (black shiny finish). Fairly level, no delamination or breaking up etc... (approx 30m2 hence standard not rapid set)!

Looking to lay slate floor tiles.

Can I directly apply a standard set adhesive to the floor without pre preparing the surface? Or do I need to
key the surface & / or bond / prime the surface prior to applying the adhesive & tiling?

Also what's your opinion on the best value for money standard set adhesives?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

R

Rookery

Remove any loose bitumen, clean floor, paint a slurry coat (cement & SBR) then once dry, tile with your chosen slow set adhesive. I'm a Mapei man myself but BAL, Weber, Dunlop are good to use too and readily available.

Reaction score
Give the asphalt a good/thorough clean. Prime with a slurry coat primer, if using our Primeplus, making the slurry is very straight forward and instructions are on the packaging.

In regards to adhesive, of course i am going to be biased and i would recommend using our Standard Set Setaflex. Price wise, as a brand we are generally very competitively priced and we have independent stockists nationally :thumbsup:

D

Dickyparsnips

Hi Mark,

As I'm near Blackpool can I actually purchase product from Leyland or do I need to go through a stockist? If so, who is near me?

Reply to Floor prep & standard set adhesive advice for a novice please! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen