Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing toilet bowl to new tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Petrol22

Hi,
My first post, hope I'm doing it right....
I am planning to tile my bathroom floor and then fix a new toilet to it. The toilet is a back-to-the-wall one with enclosed cystern. Question is: Do I need to fit anything between toilet base and tiles? - i.e. gasket or putty / silicon sealant etc? Any other tips for this job would be gratefully received...

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
screw pan down then silicon the base clear is best or if the floor tiles are white a white will be best to match the pan

L

lawrenso

Don't just rely on the screws to hold it down either - give a good coating of mastic over the complete base and use this as an extra "adhesive". Bowls have been known to crack when held with just screws alone

Steve

C

cr0ft

I agree with all of the above. Screw it down and mastic, although the type is of course personal preference. I prefer the white sealent as I think it blends in well with the bowl (if it's finished nicely. If you can't finish sealent properly go with clear :) ).

P

Petrol22

Thanks for your advice guys - think I'll go for bedding onto white sealant then screwing down.......

F

faithhealer

Thanks for your advice guys - think I'll go for bedding onto white sealant then screwing down.......
ith it being a BTW pan, I'd be tempted to just put the sealant around the edge not underneath in case you need access, ie you would need to slide it forwards!

D

Dale44

Don't over tighten screws, you can easily crack the base. The old method is to put cement underneath to secure.

F

faithhealer

Don't over tighten screws, you can easily crack the base. The old method is to put cement underneath to secure.
BTW pans usually are screwed into the side ito brackets screwed to the floor so he should be okay.
and I hope I never come across somebody who fits a pan with cement these days

Reply to Fixing toilet bowl to new tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen