Search the forum,

Discuss First tiling project, need some help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DIYD

Hi guys,

I am going to redecorating my bathroom in the next month and have just ordered all the supplies. I am immersing myself in everything I can find about tiling and more exact, bathroom tiling.

I am just wondering, can anybody answer some of these questions please, they are quite simple, but I just want to start on the right foot:

1. Do I need to take out the toilet and sink temporarily and tile these parts first, to do a really good job, i.e -> Make it look more professional?
  2. What should I start with first, the wall tiles of the floor tiles?
  3. I should start from the middle of the room on the floor and not the edges first to make it look more uniform, correct?
  4. When I start with the wall tiling, Should I start from the bottom and work my way up, or should I start in the middle?
  5. When the wall tiling is near the edge of the bath, do I just use bath seal?
Thanks for any help,
Keith

D

david campbell

Hi guys,

I am going to redecorating my bathroom in the next month and have just ordered all the supplies. I am immersing myself in everything I can find about tiling and more exact, bathroom tiling.

I am just wondering, can anybody answer some of these questions please, they are quite simple, but I just want to start on the right foot:

1. Do I need to take out the toilet and sink temporarily and tile these parts first, to do a really good job, i.e -> Make it look more professional?
  2. What should I start with first, the wall tiles of the floor tiles?
  3. I should start from the middle of the room on the floor and not the edges first to make it look more uniform, correct?
  4. When I start with the wall tiling, Should I start from the bottom and work my way up, or should I start in the middle?
  5. When the wall tiling is near the edge of the bath, do I just use bath seal?
Thanks for any help,
Keith
:welcome:to the forum
1.yes i would remove the toilet and sink as it will give you a much better finish as these can be trick y to cut round if you haven't much tiling experience
2.most tilers start with the floor first but it doesn't really matter unless you are following a pattern through the walls and floor(i.e same tiles and the grout lines are to match throughout)
3.would advise you to dry lay your floor before laying,i tend to centre the tiles on a doorway using as close to a full tile as i can then work from there(tip.put all your whole floor tiles down first(no adhesive,to see how the cuts will look to avoid any slithers of tile being used)
4.start from the bottom when doing the walls,if you decide to put the floor down first you can level all your tiles throughout the room giving a good base to work from,this can be done with a laser level or a few long spirit levels.
5.i would avoid bath seals and tile behind the bath then seal with silicone!

hope this helps:thumbsup:

D

DIYD

Thanks for fantastic response David.

If you want to have a peek at the bathroom in question: here are some pics just taken. We moved in 2 years ago and it looks they tried to do a quick job :thumbsdown:

General size and scope of bathroom: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3076.JPG
Toilet corner: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3077.JPG
Behind bath side panel: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3078.JPG
Bath seal: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3079.JPG
Shower: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3080.JPG
Shower 2: http://www.eirestudio.net/hosting-files/bath/IMG_3081.JPG

And also just to clarify, you would recommend me taking up the bath and tiling completely all around it and then use silicone for the gap?

Cheers,
Keith

D

Daveyboy

Hi Keith..I agree with most of David's comments but I prefer not to tile behind the bath..I fit the bath first ensuring a good silicon seal between the bath and the wall, then tile down onto the bath lip, followed by another silicon seal between the bath and wall tiles after I have grouted..My reason for this is that most bathrooms are not perfectly square and walls are not straight, which results in gaps between the bath and walls...

D

david campbell

Hi Keith..I agree with most of David's comments but I prefer not to tile behind the bath..I fit the bath first ensuring a good silicon seal between the bath and the wall, then tile down onto the bath lip, followed by another silicon seal between the bath and wall tiles after I have grouted..My reason for this is that most bathrooms are not perfectly square and walls are not straight, which results in gaps between the bath and walls...

i know what you mean,and also hadn't seen any photo's yet,but if the bath is only touching 2 walls i prefer to tile behind it but(usually the walls aren't that bad on just 1 corner) but as you say when walls aren't square and the bath is butted against 3 walls it sometimes isn't possible

D

Deleted member 1779

My advice to all posters of these questions is always consider the services of a professional tiler.

Their costs (in the scheme of things) can save you a lot of heart ache because they bring the tools and experience to your job.

Failing that and if you intend to do the work yourself then of course my next bit of advice is always: Dont forget your drill bits!

T

Time's Ran Out

Richard - but that's the fun of DIY.

They buy all the gear.
Spend a fortune on tiles and adhesive.
Haven't got a clue how to do it.
Get the basic of information to start.
Rarely enjoy the job while it takes months to complete.
Ends up looking like a DIY job.
Adds no value to the house when they try to sell it.
Next time the wife tells them to get it done proffessionally.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

PS - don't you just love the Forum.

D

DIYD

Richard - but that's the fun of DIY.

They buy all the gear.
Spend a fortune on tiles and adhesive.
Haven't got a clue how to do it.
Get the basic of information to start.
Rarely enjoy the job while it takes months to complete.
Ends up looking like a DIY job.
Adds no value to the house when they try to sell it.
Next time the wife tells them to get it done proffessionally.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

PS - don't you just love the Forum.

That's all fair John, I am going into this with realistic expectations that the job might turn out not so great, but I want to do this to learn and it should be some fun. The way the bathroom is now, it can only get better (hopefully) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

That's all fair John, I am going into this with realistic expectations that the job might turn out not so great, but I want to do this to learn and it should be some fun. The way the bathroom is now, it can only get better (hopefully) :)

Keith - Post some photos so we can see how it looks now.
Lets have some details of the type of tile/adhesive etc. you've ordered and lets see what information we can give to try and help you 'Enjoy' the project.

Timeless John.

PS what time scale are you looking to complete in.

D

Deleted member 1779

Good luck to you and I hope it works out....

This is my own bathroom.. I did EVERYTHING including first-fix, framing, floorboards, plumbing, electrics, plaster boarding but do you know the ONLY thing I left alone was putting up the actual tiles!

bath_full.jpg

I left the tiling to our tiler (Paul)
knees.jpg

But then maybe I was a coward and should have been more daring!

bathroom_tile.jpg

On the other hand my wife (thats Phillippa) was watching our progress and keeping an eye on proceedings.

To give you some idea of cost these tiles were £35psm and we did 37 square meters so spent £1295 quid just on tiles. That meant I didnt fancy not getting it right!

But like I said above FULL KUDOS to you for giving it a go... I wish I were that bit braver...

D

DIYD

timeless john said:
Keith - Post some photos so we can see how it looks now.
Lets have some details of the type of tile/adhesive etc. you've ordered and lets see what information we can give to try and help you 'Enjoy' the project.

Timeless John.

PS what time scale are you looking to complete in.

Thanks John, first off, here are the some pics took two days ago:

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

Now, these are all the materials I have ordered:

materials.jpg

As for time scale, I am going to allow myself I week to complete the job. The girlfriend is away then :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DIYD

Thanks Richard, the work looks fantastic and I love that tub!

Good luck to you and I hope it works out....

This is my own bathroom.. I did EVERYTHING including first-fix, framing, floorboards, plumbing, electrics, plaster boarding but do you know the ONLY thing I left alone was putting up the actual tiles!

bath_full.jpg

I left the tiling to our tiler (Paul)
knees.jpg

But then maybe I was a coward and should have been more daring!

bathroom_tile.jpg

On the other hand my wife (thats Phillippa) was watching our progress and keeping an eye on proceedings.

To give you some idea of cost these tiles were £35psm and we did 37 square meters so spent £1295 quid just on tiles. That meant I didnt fancy not getting it right!

But like I said above FULL KUDOS to you for giving it a go... I wish I were that bit braver...

Reply to First tiling project, need some help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen