Discuss first floor job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevee

ello lads,looks l;ike i might have my first job linedup

300sq trav area 2.5 x 1.4,nice and small to break me in:hurray:

hopefully ,itll lead to other work ,as hes a local builder ive known for 15 years , hes so busy he dosent advertise

one question is ,hes already got the addy BOND IT FLEXI CTA,any good?

concrete floor been down a long time,one linear ridge to take down somehow

will my TS60+ cut the trav,or do i need a wet saw?

thanks lads ,steve

F

faithhealer

deffo wetsaw steve, angle grinder to take the ridge off and as for the 'bond it' addy I would personally chuck it and use mapei or Bal. Never hear of any of the other lads using it either, good luck

T

Time's Ran Out

Stevee - I fancy another couple of days in Camber Sands - I can mix adhesive if I stand against the zimmer!:thumbsup:

Good Luck!

Timeless John.

S

stevee

sorry mate , you`d only get in the way:smilewinkgrin::thumbsup::hurray:

couple of questions for the long timers,do i need to prime the floor

and which sealer for the trav, cheers boys:thumbsup:

pics will follow

T

Time's Ran Out

Stevee - On a serious note - the zimmer does have wheels so I can move around quite fast!
Do I read the job right - 300 sq mts of travertine for your first floor job!
If its not a typing mistake instead of 30 sq mts then double Good Luck!
Make sure you get some replies before you start to put you on the right tracks.

Timeless John.

D

Daz

John,

I think it is 30 x 30 trav and the area is only 2.5m x 1.4m.
I worry when tilers accept the job then come and ask some very basic questions. These questions should be asked prior to quoting, let alone accepting the job.

"will my TS60+ cut the trav,or do i need a wet saw?" - If you have to ask, then you should be sticking with ceramics for a bit longer IMO.

S

stevee

hiya lads, sorry yes 300mm sq trav 2.5 x 1.4 area

captain slow , i will leave a professional finish to this job, but any odd bits of reassurance i welcome, im starting from scratch with a basic knowledge of tiling, and that is the reason i come to this great forum, reassurrance,guidance,tech help and advice i willingly soak up, cheers for your input boys ,steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Captain - I was getting concerned and after being in contact with Stevee on another PM matter wondered why I would have been in the way!
I believe you are right with the basics and couldn't agree more with your comments.
However we all had to learn somewhere and at least he has asked first and that way he'll do it right.:thumbsup:

Stevee - Just make sure the substrate is clean/damp sponge.
Travertine seal - Sovergeign stone seal or Lithofin.

Timeless John.

D

Daz

hiya lads, sorry yes 300mm sq trav 2.5 x 1.4 area

captain slow , i will leave a professional finish to this job, but any odd bits of reassurance i welcome, im starting from scratch with a basic knowledge of tiling, and that is the reason i come to this great forum, reassurrance,guidance,tech help and advice i willingly soak up, cheers for your input boys ,steve

Steve, apologies if my comments were mis-construed, I meant no offence.

You are right to ask the questions.
My point was really to say that the questions should have been asked before quoting the job, or how do you know what is involved, or how long it will take?

I'm sure that you will complete a top quality job, after all, you've taken the time to ask the questions - many don't.

Good luck and take your time to get a result that you will be proud of.

S

stevee

cheers mucker, as regards time , im not pressured

when i collapsed on site in march with a heart problem,while in hospital i decided to take a 12 month payment hloiday from the mortgage, my 21 years in groundworks are over:thumbsup:

so at the mo i think its more important to do a top job /word of mouth, than worry about the dosh, gotta tell boys ,i dont mind admitting id be stuffed without this forum,never realised how much was involved, cheers jonn and captain,steve

C

CBTC

cheers mucker, as regards time , im not pressured
when i collapsed on site in march with a heart problem,while in hospital i decided to take a 12 month payment hloiday from the mortgage, my 21 years in groundworks are over:thumbsup:
so at the mo i think its more important to do a top job /word of mouth, than worry about the dosh, gotta tell boys ,i dont mind admitting id be stuffed without this forum,never realised how much was involved, cheers jonn and captain,steve
Steve e - I have to say I follow the 'official' apprentice route - train up, get experience under seasoned pros etc. However I recognise these are tricky times for many, and for those looking for new ways to make a living at least you are making no bones about needing info, although the questions make me shudder. Can I suggest you keep on looking to learn and try and get on a training course of some kind, ads to be found on this site.
Anything less is shprt changing people; sure sorting yourself out - fine. But any paying customer deserves - whatever the fee agreed - someone with a degree of experience and knowledge of the task / trade/ job.
That said - you've won the business - it's your job, good luck with it. how on earth you have priced it, I dont know!

T

Time's Ran Out

CBTC QUOTE :That said - you've won the business - it's your job, good luck with it. how on earth you have priced it, I dont know![/quote]

CBTC - I think you're with me in reading the job size incorrect!

Its a job of 4sq mts - well within Stevee's grasp for a first travertine job.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to first floor job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay