Search the forum,

Discuss First epoxy grout job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

I recently completed my first epoxy grouting job. I have to say I found the experience quite a good one to be honest.

I used BAL Easypoxy in white and contrary to my expectations, I found it easy to use and quite easy to clean off, with only a minor amount of emulsifying to do the next day to clean off the bits I had missed first time around.

I have put a couple of pics in my floor gallery if anybody wants to have a nosey at what it came out like.

G

grumpygrouter

Only done a small area so far in epoxy, paid about a tenner for a kg. must work out pricey for even a splashback type area? How much did you mix / grout at a time russ
I mixed 1kg at a time, sadly I miscalculated the requirements slightly because of the tile thickness/adhesive depth and was actually 2 tiles short and I had allowed 2 tubs. Needed to get a third tub for the last bit which meant there was quite a bit of waste from the last tub.

I was paid handsomely for the grouting bit!!

G

grumpygrouter

What made them go for the epoxy grout Russ
Me! The customer was insistant he wanted white grout on the floor so I told him because it would look grubby in no time, that epoxy was the way to go because it is much easier to keep clean. Told him I wasn't going to use normal white on the floor so if he wanted white it was going to be epoxy....and it would be more expensive!

A

Alberta Stone

Change your water often, use lots...you don't have to be shy with it like portland grout, do small batchs at a time and you will love it.
They even have an epoxy haze remover which you use the next day to clean things to perfection.
I like it, as when you wash out a bit much, you can go back, fill it flush and it actually sticks to itself, unlike portland grout which doesn't do that trick very well.

G

grumpygrouter

never used epoxy grout yet,is it hard to use as i`ve been informed or is the easypoxy stuff better
I was given horror stories about it too. I didn't find it very difficult. You need to work a bit harder to push the stuff into the joint and I mixed a tub at a time (1kg) and applied it. Cleaning off was really quite straight forward and I used 2 buckets of hot water. 1 for the initial clean and the second to go over. Usual grout clean off procedure except that you need to use an emusifying pad first for your initial "cut" then 1 wipe with the sponge, turn over and second wipe. Clean sponge in bucket 1 final rinse in bucket 2 and clean same area again. I had very little to do the next day to finish of with any haze that I had missed. No wash boy in this procedure!

Only thing I was a little surprised about was that the grout was not fully hard after about 22hrs. It was still rubbery. Really, to avoid any contamination, the area needs to be left well alone for at least 24hrs so the stuff hardens off properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy-p

TF
Arms
gary that floor is mint my son !! talking about epoxy , i remember grouting over 100m2 of quarry tiles at a bottling plant with black epoxy grout !! me and another apprentice got stuck with this glorious task ,it was a goddamn nightmare!! if i remember right i think we could only manage about 10m2 a day ... :dizzy2:

Last edited:
C

CBTC

First epoxy job huh Grumpy; now you're really tiling! I've just had a day of it today. Still remember my first time many moons ago - it was v tricky then. The coming thing is Spectralock from Laticrete. V expensive, but almost as easy to use as mortar. With the increasing amount of specifiaction of resinous grouts to be used, one day it will be the norm. Anyone else had the pleasure?

A

Alberta Stone

Finished our last job off with kerepoxy.
It has been changed from the last time I used it as the grit and part A are premixed, you just add part B.
Big kits are cheaper to buy and if you are careful you can split them down even into 1/8 portions with no problem.
The epoxy sponge from mapei is an excellent tool, but wears out fairly fast.

It was a bit cold and so I found that the floor needed 2 passes in many places due to slumping, but no problems other than more effort required.

Reply to First epoxy grout job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.