Currently reading:
Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap?

Discuss Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Tubbed adhesive is a dispersion adhesive, this means to set it has to lose it's moisture and that is through the grout lines as said above and through into the substrate and tile biscuit..

IMO you would be better using a slow set bagged adhesive as this will allow you take up any deviation in the walls as dispersion adhesive should not exceed 3mm depth... and can shrink crack if used deeper.. and will set quicker as it sets hydraulically...

K

KylieZona

Hey Bob - I'd like to do a decent job and not have tiles popping off all over the place - that's for sure!

They're 25cm x 40cm the dot and dabbed seemed to dry ok. Do you think the all over will dry OK once redone?

Pics of cement boad damage below.

CementBoard-Damage2.jpg CementBoard-Damage.jpg

C

Colour Republic

Thanks so much for your hep Bob, Dave, Bri.

We'll be hitting the shops first thing in the morning for the bagged adhesive. We WILL have a bathroom!

I personally wouldn't go to Topps Tiles for your adhesive as their retail price on adhesive is eye watering. I'd suggest you go to either a small independant or someone like CTD or Tile Giant. If you find yourself in B&Q then get the 'Buildfix' adhesive rather than unibond or the likes

K

KylieZona

Sorry to throw more naive questions out there... but I'm reading conflicting stories about how long to leave acrylic primer.

I've bought Buildfix Plaster Primer from B&Q but it doens't list a drying time.

Other acrylic primers seem to have a 1 - 12 hour drying time. Which isn't a great help. I've also ready on one primer that you shouldn't let it dry before tiling over.

Any thoughts? (I'm scared of doing another rubbish job!)

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Well done Kylie, not least for taking the advice and going the whole way with it despite how disheartening it must have been to start all over again when you thought you'd nearly finished. I don't recall you at any point trying to cut a few corners to make it easier, you just went for it and took the pro's advice:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The two pictures below look similar don't they? yet one hides some horrors and the other is done correctly and more importantly safely.

36189d1323018593-finishing-off-ceiling-do-we-have-cementadhesive-9-.jpg

36122d1322930527-finishing-off-ceiling-do-we-have-almostdone.jpg

Reply to Finishing off a ceiling - Do we have too much gap? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.