Discuss Tiler mistake - large gap between tiles and ceiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully getting my money back after threatening to make a court claim), I've had another botch job with fitter #2!

After the tiling was done there was a gap of about one inch between the tiles and ceiling, which has been been filled with grout and painted over. I've attached photos but it looks a million times worse in the flesh. The company owner tried to fob me off by acting like it wasn't an error and that it just wasn't possible to cut the tiles that small (I'm sure the latter is true - but he made it seem like it was just an inevitability of the tile design!) After researching I now know that the tiler messed up by not working out the space beforehand and wrongly started/ended with full tiles.

I insisted that the tiles and plasterboards be re-done from scratch (as I assume pulling off the tiles will bring the plasterboard with it). The owner reluctantly agreed to this on Saturday when he inspected the works, after trying to convince me that he could try to add some kind of trim (he does now admit the tiler messed up at least). However this morning he emailed me saying he had 'thought of another solution' which won't involve starting from scratch and will only involve removing a few tiles and re-tiling. He hasn't elaborated on what this solution would involve but I can't see how you could correct it to a professional standard and make all of the tiles look co-ordinated without re-doing from scratch.

I'm sure there are bodge solutions available, which I might consider if I'd done this myself as a DIY job and botched it, but since I'm paying a professional (I've not paid in full yet but a sizeable chunk) I want it done right. Relations between us are totally at an impasse now as he won't budge.

Am I within my rights to insist on a re-do or am I being unreasonable?

20201102_135150.jpg

IMG-20201030-WA0012.jpeg

Last edited:
P

Perfect Tiling

Yep.....as above answer. Is there any way you could just get them lower the ceiling by the size of the gap with either plasterboard on 12mm timber or use the plastic ceiling panels that are now used a lot in bathrooms. It may seem extreme but be easier and less hassle than ripping out and redoing the whole lot. Did the tiler not put trim down the edge of the tiles......Did he tank the shower before tiling.....

Reply to Tiler mistake - large gap between tiles and ceiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks