Discuss External Corner joints - are there any pictures please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minnie

I have an external corner joint coming up and am not mad on the idea of having to go and buy tile trim, but will do if necessary.

Are there any posts on here that show pictures of various ways of doing joints.

I have the option of overlapping one tile with the other, having them meet and putting grout between them or having tile trim I guess. I saw a post by someone on the stone tiling forum but there were no pictures.

Any pictures much appreciated.

I'd look myself but my modem's dying so I have to keep switching off to let it cool down which means my internet activities are limited to very short sessions. (I hope it doesn't die before I finish this job).

D

diamondtiling

Hi Minnie, are you using natural stone? if so you can over lap the face tile with the edge tile as on window reveals and sills etc, this looks far better than using trims.

:thumbsup:

M

Minnie

Hi Minnie, are you using natural stone? if so you can over lap the face tile with the edge tile as on window reveals and sills etc, this looks far better than using trims.

No, just very cheap tiles

It's for these two corners on the left.

9425135-b43

I think they may originally have been done using what I believe is called a butt joint

9425052-ed6

Going to have to disappear for a while as have to go out. Back later

PS: I'm using cheap as I'm on a budget and because it's rumoured the council will replace bathrooms/kitchens at some stage in the next two years so they'd probably only do damage!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

They are ceramic tiles Minnie and you can see the biscuit on the edges, this is what will absorb water and grout etc, you could try and mitre the corners, its a fairly difficult job to do if you are not experienced with the process, you can end up with the glaze getting chipped as you cut them and you need a cutter with a mitre bed.
Looking at your pictures I think that trims are the way forward for you in order to hide the tile edge as they will look unsightly and give an unprofessional finish if left on show. Are you against trims in general or are they a problem to fit?

M

Minnie

They are ceramic tiles Minnie and you can see the biscuit on the edges, this is what will absorb water and grout etc, you could try and mitre the corners, its a fairly difficult job to do if you are not experienced with the process, you can end up with the glaze getting chipped as you cut them and you need a cutter with a mitre bed.
Looking at your pictures I think that trims are the way forward for you in order to hide the tile edge as they will look unsightly and give an unprofessional finish if left on show. Are you against trims in general or are they a problem to fit?

This is what's going up.

9703788-4cb

Sorry, in a rush. Don't want anything complicated :smilewinkgrin: Back soon

D

diamondtiling

You go and do what you need to do Minnie, lots of advice will be waiting for you when you get back. You will need to use trim around your window to protect the tile edges from chipping etc, have you considered metal trims? they look better than plastic and are straight forward to cut.
I am sure someone will put a few pictures up soon of ceramic tiles without trims for you.

M

Minnie

You go and do what you need to do Minnie, lots of advice will be waiting for you when you get back. You will need to use trim around your window to protect the tile edges from chipping etc, have you considered metal trims? they look better than plastic and are straight forward to cut.
I am sure someone will put a few pictures up soon of ceramic tiles without trims for you.

Plastic ones aren't easy to cut. I tried doing one with a hacksaw. It was a mess. I'm not very good with tools. :smilewinkgrin:

I've taken the practice tiles off the window ledge and think I need to neaten that up somehow. It has a cement looking base on it. Do I need to prime that with that Primer G stuff?

I agree metal trim would look nicer, but I think I'll have to get someone who knows how to handle a saw to cut it as it could be an expensive mistake.

Have to go out again but will post up a picture of the window sill later.

Many thanks all. For now :thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
For cutting trim, get yourself one of these. They make life a hell of a lot easier. To be honest, i think trim is your only real option here. Try the square edged trim, as it doesn't really matter if you mitre it or not. :thumbsup:

M

Minnie

For cutting trim, get yourself one of these. They make life a hell of a lot easier. To be honest, i think trim is your only real option here. Try the square edged trim, as it doesn't really matter if you mitre it or not. :thumbsup:

Mini mitre box? What's that for, stabilising the trim whilst you saw it?

Would they sell them in Topps Tiles? I doubt they sell them in Tile Giant. They don't seem to sell an awful lot in there at all. I doubt they'll even have corner trim.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Yeah for keeping it steady whilst you cut it. You still have to have a tight grip on it, but it's much easier than trying to cut it freehand. TradeTiler is the only place i've seen the mini mitre box (although to be fair, i haven't really been looking for one). You can get larger ones at Wickes/B&Q etc. TradeTiler have a pretty quick turn-around though.. How soon do you need to get one (if you decide to go down that route)?

They should have the trim in both Tile Giant, and Topps, but if Topps are true to form it'll be twice as much there!?! lol

Last edited:
M

Minnie

Yeah for keeping it steady whilst you cut it. You still have to have a tight grip on it, but it's much easier than trying to cut it freehand. TradeTiler is the only place i've seen the mini mitre box (although to be fair, i haven't really been looking for one). You can get larger ones at Wickes/B&Q etc. TradeTiler have a pretty quick turn-around though.. How soon do you need to get one (if you decide to go down that route)?

They should have the trim in both Tile Giant, and Topps, but if Topps are true to form it'll be twice as much there!?! lol

My local Tile Giant don't sell tile files (the ones with the handle, only those flat mesh thingies), they don't sell hacksaws, they don't sell tile saws, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of trim either, but will have to check that.

Would like the mitre box immediately as want to start that wall tomorrow and I'm assuming you can only put the trim in before the adhesive has set?

Anyway, thanks for help.:thumbsup: I have to go and keep my pub landlord in business. :smilewinkgrin:

Back later

D

doug boardley

will do

doug-boardley-albums-holme-park-picture4274-holme-park-april-09-007.jpg

the corner on the left hand side is an external mitre that I did with some large format porcelain, but the look and method are the same as with ceramic:thumbsup:

M

Minnie

will do

doug-boardley-albums-holme-park-picture4274-holme-park-april-09-007.jpg

the corner on the left hand side is an external mitre that I did with some large format porcelain, but the look and method are the same as with ceramic:thumbsup:

oh er, that looks beyond my limited capabilities.

Very nice though.

Right, pub beckons.

M

Matt

My local Tile Giant don't sell tile files (the ones with the handle, only those flat mesh thingies), they don't sell hacksaws, they don't sell tile saws, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of trim either, but will have to check that.

Would like the mitre box immediately as want to start that wall tomorrow and I'm assuming you can only put the trim in before the adhesive has set?

Anyway, thanks for help.:thumbsup: I have to go and keep my pub landlord in business. :smilewinkgrin:

Back later

May I ask which store is your local Tile Giant?

P

peckers

these are ceramic tiles with a mitred joint minnie

cant get picture to upload sorry will try again

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to External Corner joints - are there any pictures please? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22