Discuss Expansion Joint Sealant/Grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I'm tiling my kitchen floor and have been told to put a 10mm expansion joint around the whole area where the tiles meet the walls ( is this correct?)

Not sure how to handle the expansion joint- I intend to put sealant into the expansion joint but do i then cover the sealant with grout or leave it as it is? thanks

B

brian c

i normally leave a gap at the walls and fill with silicone and then use a silicone profiler to finish off...i dont know if this is what you want to hear or not?Incidenetly how big is the floor?:thumbsup:

J

jonty

thanks for reply, using grey grout so thinking of using grey sealant but tiles go up against a white skirting board so would it be better to use a white sealant? the floor is around 10m squared cheers

D

davy_G

I just tile as normal, cut within 10 ish mm of the wall. No need to fill as units go on top or its skirted with 20mm board.

W

Woody123

10mm sound way to big to me unless you are doing what Davy G is talking about doing and refitting the skirting board after tiling so it hides the gap. i would personally leave a 3-4mm gap and then fill with silicone. after applying the silicone use washing up liquid in a spray bottle and spray the silicone then finished it off with a profile tool and you will get a perfect finish. Hope this helps mate.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

If you want to do job properly & more pleasing to eye,then then remove skirting boards prior to tiling. Leave gap at perimiter when tiling, this is your perimiter expansion gap.
Re fit skirtings afterwards.
No nasty silicone to discolor or replace every few years.

R

ragged13

How come 10mm is too big?

If you have a 5-9mm tile depth, and use 4mm spacers, you really need bigger gap. Otherwise your 4mm grout wont match the corners.

Reply to Expansion Joint Sealant/Grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay