Search the forum,

Discuss efflorescence ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

br0wser

many thanks all, really appreciate the advice. Can anyone recommend a good chemical DPM product for this purpose? Would I need to take up the whole floor in that room, or just the area affected?
cheers,
Mark.

D

DHTiling

The Efflorescence is due to the rising damp bringing salts from the substrate and as it dries on the surface it leaves the white residue, this will just brush away with a stiff brush but as long as the floor is damp there is the possibility the Efflorescence will keep coming back.

The choice is too remove the floor and install another on to a DPM or keep on top of the Efflorescence.

A simple Efflorescence remover will not cure it and neither will sealing the tiles.

If you were to remove the tiles and use a chemical DPM then this could drive the damp to the sides and cause problems elsewhere.

Without actually seeing this at face value , it is hard to say what is best in your situation.

I think you need to get someone in to access it in full.

T

Time's Ran Out

You say the tiles were laid 1700 - is that 5pm or 1700AD!
Before you consider removing any tiles I would have a word with English Heritage to see what work you can do on them and whether there is a grant available etc.

D

DHTiling

See as they have grout joints i would presume they were not laid that long ago as 1700...

I took it as the substrate was..

B

br0wser

yes, the house age is between 1600 - 1700 (one half built of stone, this half where the tiles are is brick built). The house is built onto a slope and the outside wall where these tiles are is about two feet above the pavement level.

D

doug boardley

... and if I remember correctly, cement (as we know it) wasn't invented until about 1904

Reply to efflorescence ?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen