Search the forum,

Discuss drying too fast in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

benjiiiiuk

hi. can i mix an adhesive a bit wetter as i am following the instructions but it is setting too fast,

cheers for any help

D

doug boardley

I alwys mix it to manufacturers instructions mate, are you using rapid set? if so, why not use a standard set instead to give you more working time. Or mix up smaller quantities at the appropriate mix ratios:thumbsup:

B

benjiiiiuk

yes it was rapid set. i have done the job now but it was a pain i will consider that in the future. cheers

U

united

As Doug said above :thumbsup:

I'm not the fastest tiler so I try to use something with a longer pot life or mix small amounts

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Run the tap for a few mins to get cooler. :chillpill:

Mix smaller amounts. :chillpill:

Dry cut as much as poss beforehand. :chillpill:

Keep everything in the shade. :chillpill:

Reaction score
You didn't say whether you were mixing it by hand or with power whisk. If you were using a whisk and were mixing it on too fast a setting, it generates friction in the adhesive, therefore heat, hence a very quick setting cement, perhaps try mixing at a slower speed or do it by hand with a bucket trowel, it will give you a longer working time. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
I cant understand the obsession with using rapid set so much, I would say that unless you want to grout or have access over on the same day or on stone with a high bleed porosity there is no need to use it.a good quality C2S1 white std set is all you need

P

Perry

I cant understand the obsession with using rapid set so much, I would say that unless you want to grout or have access over on the same day or on stone with a high bleed porosity there is no need to use it.a good quality C2S1 white std set is all you need
Unless its on timber where you need to use fast set

S

simmy08

The rapid addy i like for floors is cheaper than other brands, thats why i use it.its made by a respectable company anyway but just labelled different. it also helps me to be more quick and i can grout it the same day. Less money out for materials and more money in for time saving.
Although i do believe in the right addy for the right job. Ill use a generally more expensive rapid addy with better slump properties for wall tiling. ill use a standard set addy for mosaics and other tiles for just that little bit longer working time. I always try to use rapid addy tho as it pressures me to work that bit quicker but still aiming for a spot on job.

as with setting too quickly i will mix smaller amounts always making sure to clean my bucket and tools out not using same water and always planning ahead as far as the job will allow.

Reaction score
Hi simmy08

all fair points and it obviously works for you.
I feel sometimes there is an element of tilers bravado about using rapid set and a feeling that doing so makes you a 'pro tiler'
I only use cement based addy and 80% of the time it is a standard set C2S1
and i use it over prepared timber subtrates

Reply to drying too fast in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen