Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

Varley

Waterproof adhesive does not protect any surface from water damage, the substrate should be tanked prior to tiling. All waterproof adhesive means is that the adhesive doesn't break back down when it comes into contact from water, it still lets water through to the substrate.

G

Gazzer

Adhesive and grout is water resistant not water proof. Plasterboard is not water proof either....your thoughts are all correct and you should stop them fixing NOW

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They are taking the mick...................no way on earth ANY tiles should be D&D.

Ring up any adhesive company and they will tell you.

Bad Bad practice..............and cheaper for the tiler

G

grumpygrouter

Yep, I have to agree with everyone else, deffo a big NO! NO!.

Yes it is porous but you are incorrect about the adhesive being waterproof, it isn't. Hopefully they are putting the tiles onto bare plasterboard and not skimmed, these are heavy tiles I would imagine.

I think you will find (I may be wrong here) that british standards say that adhesive should be applied and combed through with an appropriately sized notched trowel. it will certainly say that on the bag of adhesive!!

S

spanky

12 or 13 responses, all saying the same, yet I am still being told it is ok by the Tiler and the contractor.

Is there any particular reason not too Dot & Dab Travertine (30kg Sqm) onto a plasterboard wall. There is no PVA on the wall, it is bare, new plasterboard.

Thanks

F

Fekin

All I can say is what everyones already said, dot and dabbing is not the propper method for any form of tiling, never mind Travertine.
All tiling needs to have adhesive covering the whole rear surface area of the tile, period.

Stand your ground and insist they fix your tiles correctly, and redo what they have botched already, and dont pay a penny until they have fixed their "errors"

And no adhesive company in their right mind will say their product will preform propperly with just dabs of adhesive.

Basically if they are only putting a dab in each corner of the tile then thats the only aread holding the weight of the tile, so if they adhesive covers the whole back of the tile then the weight is shared out over a greater area, meaning they tiles will "should" never fall away from the wall.

If their doing it on floor tiles then within weeks they could all start cracking, maybe sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Lets have details, what adhesive are they using and then we can sort it once and for all.

S

spanky

Adhesive used:

Keraflex Maxi & Ultra Proflex SP Adhesives.

Enc Picture showing what the Tiler says is on the back of each tile.
24072008084.jpg

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen