Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

spanky

12 or 13 responses, all saying the same, yet I am still being told it is ok by the Tiler and the contractor.

Is there any particular reason not too Dot & Dab Travertine (30kg Sqm) onto a plasterboard wall. There is no PVA on the wall, it is bare, new plasterboard.

Thanks

F

Fekin

All I can say is what everyones already said, dot and dabbing is not the propper method for any form of tiling, never mind Travertine.
All tiling needs to have adhesive covering the whole rear surface area of the tile, period.

Stand your ground and insist they fix your tiles correctly, and redo what they have botched already, and dont pay a penny until they have fixed their "errors"

And no adhesive company in their right mind will say their product will preform propperly with just dabs of adhesive.

Basically if they are only putting a dab in each corner of the tile then thats the only aread holding the weight of the tile, so if they adhesive covers the whole back of the tile then the weight is shared out over a greater area, meaning they tiles will "should" never fall away from the wall.

If their doing it on floor tiles then within weeks they could all start cracking, maybe sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Lets have details, what adhesive are they using and then we can sort it once and for all.

S

spanky

Adhesive used:

Keraflex Maxi & Ultra Proflex SP Adhesives.

Enc Picture showing what the Tiler says is on the back of each tile.
24072008084.jpg

S

spanky

Can anyone tell me the reasons you should not do this, the tiles don't appear to want to come off.

G

Gazzer

Because water will find its way through and due to the voids between the tile and wall caused by not having a full bed of adhesive water may hold and then progress through into the plasterboards which wil then break down and then tiles may come loose. Further more those tiles will be heavy and i would want to be sitting in the bath when 5 dabs of adhesive decide they cant hold the tile any longer.
I could sit here all night telling you how wrong this is but i am getting the feeling you dont want to listen so i am opting out. Hope you get it sorted though.

B

brummie tiler

Im with everybody else. Dot n dab I would never dream of doing it certainly not on Trav. They might be stuck firmly now but what about 6 months down the line......Do the job properly not twice.....

G

grumpygrouter

12 or 13 responses, all saying the same, yet I am still being told it is ok by the Tiler and the contractor.

Is there any particular reason not too Dot & Dab Travertine (30kg Sqm) onto a plasterboard wall. There is no PVA on the wall, it is bare, new plasterboard.

Thanks
This is approaching the safe limit for plasterboard! Add to that what (should be) the correct amount of adhesive, around 3-4kg/m2 and grout then you have issues!

Remind me if we ever we meet not to take a bath or shower in there, I don't want your nice tiles falling onto me.:thumbsup:

B

bj F

From what I can gather you have the maximum Wight fixed with the minimum adhesive in the most unorthodox manner I have ever herd of and the contractor is fine with that????? Will he guarantee the work?

S

spanky

Oh, I am still listening, however from my point of view I am:

Without a bathroom (have been for 2 weeks)
Have to persued them that they will have to rip off 35 sqm of tile, then pay for 35 sqm more, re-plasterboard it, and re-tile it.

I can imagine they are not gonna want to do that.

Hence the needing a good reason for not doing it, they are saying the tiles "won't" come off.

I am running out of arguement, I am sure he knows it is wrong.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

They were gonna tile onto the original plaster: see post

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/12315-professional-travertine-fitter-what-should-i.html

Got them to board it out.

G

Gazzer

Ok so i am back. I cant tell you how this winds me up. 2 things i hate in this game is bad workmen and customers getting ripped off, both are in this thread. Dont pay them...totally sub standard work.

V

Varley

Oh, I am still listening, however from my point of view I am:

Without a bathroom (have been for 2 weeks)
Have to persued them that they will have to rip off 35 sqm of tile, then pay for 35 sqm more, re-plasterboard it, and re-tile it.

I can imagine they are not gonna want to do that.

Hence the needing a good reason for not doing it, they are saying the tiles "won't" come off.

I am running out of arguement, I am sure he knows it is wrong.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

They were gonna tile onto the original plaster: see post

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/12315-professional-travertine-fitter-what-should-i.html

Got them to board it out.

When you say they were going to tile over existing plaster and you persuaded them to board out, please tell me they removed the plaster first, because if they boarded over the top of the plaster you are reaching seriously dangerous levels of weight.

U

uug197h

never D & D. from a plumbers point of view no tile should be D & D if you drill the tile to fix a shower screen then the tile is more likely to break when tightening the screws. if you d & d you are only fixing to the tile so making more of a problem for the tiles to stay on the wall

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks