Discuss Does my tile look big in this? (newbie layout query) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gspot

Hi,

I'm new here, hoping for input on my kitchen floor. I've had a good look at the albums and read through many threads. We were hoping to use an imitation slate 600X600mm rectified porcelain tile (the black one).

Some pics for background attached.

1) Whilst I appreciate tile size is a personal preference, I wonder if you would suggest straight off this tile is too big for the room (this colourway only available 600 square, 300 square or 300X600)?
2) The floor is part suspended timber, part concrete/brick (used to be a fireplace/chimney breast around where the oven was many years ago). We have reinforced the joists and screwed down 18mm WBP ply. Would some kind of decoupling membrane (Ditra matting for example) be needed (and would we need it across the whole floor)?

3) The dominant visual features of the room for me are a) unusual 45 degree entrance b) back 'stable' door and c) shiny oven/hob. Whilst I will dry lay tiles to try and find ideal positioning to optimise the look for these three features, I'd appreciate suggestions for either:

- going inline with the oven (ie. 600mm tile in front, with tile to the left disappearing under plinth, one tile to the right, and a 180mm edging piece by the right hand wall) or instead taking a tile each side of a centre line from the oven (would give a 260mm piece under the plinth and a 490mm cut for the right hand wall).

- same sort of question for the back door: try and position a tile centrally, with small 130mm infill to each side), or move evenly dividing the space ?

4) Finally, the manufacturer's data sheet for this rectified tile suggests a 2mm grout line is OK (I would prefer to go this slim). Given the suspended timber/concrete subfloor, and because I want to install electric UFH (Devi, to match upstairs) would I likely be OK with 2mm or should I stick with 3mm to be safe ?

Thanks for any input,

Gerard.

IMG_7129.jpg IMG_7131.jpg IMG_7127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

600x600 tiles are harder to lay than 300x300 and you floor must be very flat to make life as easy as possible. On a timber floor I personally would not go down to 2mm for your joint and add to that the UFH....absolute minimum of 3mm and if it was me I would go even wider!!

G

gspot

grumpy, ease aside (I'll get a pro if I can't handle this), do you reckon the 600 is too big for the space ? I fear 300 may feel too 'bitty'.

Doug, could you clarify which product from Schluter's range might be slimmest/most appropriate for me? I imagine I'll have a hard sell to SWMBO, but obvioulsy better than cracked grouting/split tiles after a few years...

Ta.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

The tile size is a personal choice. Without seeing the whole space it would be difficult to gauge but my gut feeling is something a little smaller would be better. Do they do a 450x450? Obviously the bigger tiles give you less grout jointing but looking at your pics more closely, it seems like you have 6mm ply down... :yikes::yikes:

D

doug boardley

grumpy, ease aside (I'll get a pro if I can't handle this), do you reckon the 600 is too big for the space ? I fear 300 may feel too 'bitty'.

Doug, could you clarify which product from Schluter's range might be slimmest/most appropriate for me? I imagine I'll have a hard sell to SWMBO, but obvioulsy better than cracked grouting/split tiles after a few years...

Ta.
Before I trawl through their products, you'd better sell it to Maggie first:lol:

G

Gazzer

The tile size is a personal choice. Without seeing the whole space it would be difficult to gauge but my gut feeling is something a little smaller would be better. Do they do a 450x450? Obviously the bigger tiles give you less grout jointing but looking at your pics more closely, it seems like you have 6mm ply down... :yikes::yikes:

Yeah it looks like it in one of the photos but in others you can see its 18mm. I assume its 18mm all over ?

G

gspot

lol, you lot...

Yeah, 18mm all round, with WBP stamp. Screwed around 150mm centres, stainless steel. :)

They don't do this colour in a 450 square tile, which I think might be the ideal size for me... bigger than 'bitty' but maybe not quite as mahoosive as 600 square...

If I tell Maggie she needs an expansion joint, she'll get an expansion joint! If I can do without it, by installing Ditra mat etc. then I'd prefer without.

D

diamondtiling

Did you apply any sealers to the ply before laying? The underside and edges should be sealed.

G

gspot

Edges sealed with PVA glue, underside not treated (will my world implode ? I thought this wasn't needed with WBP?) - the concrete foundation underneath is some 450mm from the top of the joists, and there is polystyrene insulation underneath the ply. Well ventilated, doesn't seem damp.

D

diamondtiling

Edges sealed with PVA glue, underside not treated (will my world implode ? I thought this wasn't needed with WBP?) - the concrete foundation underneath is some 450mm from the top of the joists, and there is polystyrene insulation underneath the ply. Well ventilated, doesn't seem damp.

Why would your world implode??
Advice is given freely to all askers by tilers that give up their free time to help. If you have such a big gap beneath your floor then its advisable to apply a coat of bond to stop the boards from curling.
As for using PVA for the edges, that was a mistake, you should have left a small 2mm gap for expansion purposes.

Reply to Does my tile look big in this? (newbie layout query) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley