Search the forum,

Discuss Damp Wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robuphill

Hi there, I have just bought a new house out here in Gibraltar, it is a funny layout and one bathroom wall is actually below ground so to speak. Consequently for 3 months of the year it will be damp, as i am about to rip the bathroom out and start again i am after some advice on how to seal the damp wall so i can tile over it.

C

Colour Republic

How far is it under ground? and has it always been? are you able to dig a trench on the outside so it doesn't have earth stacked up against it? Or is a basment in the true sense? If so you could tank the room (i'm not talking about wetroom membranes here)

W

White Room

Same as Rob, dig the earth away which is up against the wall, are they solid walls

R

robuphill

The wall is solid, about 14 inches thick, about 150 years old. When i say damp i dont mean running water but just slightly damp, and only now in the 2/3 month rainy season. I was wondering if i could just batten some plywood up to keep the tiles away from the damp wall and vent it at the top in several places

C

Colour Republic

Well really you want to damp proof the walls at it first interior point i.e. at brickwork level. As it is on the hill you will get a fair amount of water running down it so you should always see what you can do to slow it down outside the property, even divert the water if at all possible, it just needs some common sense, also look out for any trees that many be up the hill from the property and close enough to cause problems, i.e. will the leaves block up your gutters every year? as this can be a major cause of damp if they are not kept clear

W

White Room

No, this is the same as an old lime wall in the uk, remove the earth thats up against the wall and this should solve the problem.

These old walls have no damp course.

R

robuphill

i think i may have confused you both, the block that my house is in is built on a hill, the left hand wall of my bathroom is in effect dug down into the hill, above is a road, unable to remove the earth.

S

simhopper

Tank the walls and floor with Oldroyd P tanking membrane and install a drain, This can then be dot and dabbed onto the Oldroyd plaster membrane plugs

Easy enough to DIY and Can be done for less than £1000

W

White Room

Gotcha, just a thought could you not dig down and slide a damp proof membrane down past your floor level against the wall.

Reply to Damp Wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen