Search the forum,

Discuss Damaged Fireplace Hearth Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Svenedin

This is my first post on the forum. I'm Stephen and I am definitely not a professional tiler. I can do basic tiling like a few tiles around a basin in a bedroom or replacing a cracked tile in the bathroom. I've also successfully retiled where I had to replace a shower mixer bar but anything else I would call in a professional.

Anyway, this question concerns damaged hearth tiles. I have 3 arched, tiled fireplaces. Probably 1920s but may be earlier (the house was built in 1904). The tiles of the actual fireplaces are almost perfect but quite a few of the hearth tiles are cracked and chipped. Presumably this is from fire irons being dropped. The cracked tiles are not at all loose but the cracks fill with ash and I don't want them to deteriorate further. I think the tiles are set in concrete.

There is very little chance of finding replacement tiles especially as the hearth tiles match the fireplace. I wonder how I can fill the cracks without it looking awful? Whatever I do has to withstand great heat. I am considering using a cement based grout and a cement dye to get a reasonable colour match and using that to "grout" (fill) the cracks. Would this work?

Pictures show cracked tile and the 3 fireplaces. 1 is back in use, the other 2 are works in progress.

tile cracks.jpg Drawing room fireplace lit.jpeg Drawing room fireplace complete.JPG dining room fireplace.jpg

Reply to Damaged Fireplace Hearth Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen