Discuss Commercial kitchen advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

carole

Hello all,

Wondering if someone could help me as I'm wading through lots of info at the moment which is making my head spin a bit.
What I'm looking for is the correct grout to use on a tile floor in a small commercial kitchen, to pass food safety inspections.
From stumbling across this forum I think I need BAL easypoxy ? but have since found ( from Screwfix) something called Kerapoxy, suitable for food prep areas.
Is there anything else ? Is the Easypoxy as difficult to use as it sounds, despite the name !
The area is approx 3m x 5.5m and I have someone to do it - but they usually use the ordinary grout.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Carole

D

Daz

Re: commercial kitchen grout advice please

Commercial kitchens are classed as high hygiene areas so you can use Mapei Kerapoxy, Bal Easypoxy, or any other epoxy grout for that matter.

The main difference is it goes off quicker and is slightly more difficult to clean off if you leave it too long. So, mix smaller quantities and work an area of approx 1sqm at a time.

If you approach it sensibly, follow the instructions on the pack and work small areas at a time, it is no more difficult than grouting with a cementious grout.

Reaction score
Re: commercial kitchen grout advice please

Commercial kitchens are classed as high hygiene areas so you can use Mapei Kerapoxy, Bal Easypoxy, or any other epoxy grout for that matter.

The main difference is it goes off quicker and is slightly more difficult to clean off if you leave it too long. So, mix smaller quantities and work an area of approx 1sqm at a time.

If you approach it sensibly, follow the instructions on the pack and work small areas at a time, it is no more difficult than grouting with a cementious grout.
sounds good to me:hurray:

D

diamondtiling

Hi there, Its as easy to use as a cement grout, just do a smaller area at a time, say 1 mtr sq, instead of a sponge you can get an epoxy grout remover from your local tile supplies, its very straight forward

C

carole

Thanks everyone - very helpful.
Just so I know exactly what we're doing , what size of gap would you leave between tiles ? They are 15 x 15 cm . I'm thinking small is best but you all know more about it than me !
Thanks again for taking time to reply,
Carole

T

Time's Ran Out

Carole - Are these tiles that have just been laid or is it a re-grouting project. All epoxy will be fine its just that the tiler should be able to use epoxy grout.
IMO I didn't think that epoxy goes off in the joint very fast at all, and you have to be careful not to drag the joint!
The remover is used onany surplus grout left as a haze on the tile surface - do not leave grout on the tile surface longer than advised on the pack!.

Timeless John.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:mrkyo - better post in a seperate thread to get replies!:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

C

carole

These are new tiles we are putting down - also how far would a 5kg tub of easypoxy go ? roughly ? and can it be found somewhere easy like Jewsons or similar builders merchants ?
Thanks

D

diamondtiling

These are new tiles we are putting down - also how far would a 5kg tub of easypoxy go ? roughly ? and can it be found somewhere easy like Jewsons or similar builders merchants ?
Thanks

I doubt that a builders merchant would stock epoxy, try your local tile supplies shop, If they dont have it they will order it for you

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Carole - On a 150x150mm tile a 2/3mm pegged joint should be ok!
The area covered by the 5kg epoxy tub will depend on the thickness of the tile and surface wastage!
For your 16.5sq mts you may need 3/4 tubs.:thumbsup:
Jewsons are part of the St Gobain group and will be able to order the grout through CTD if you cannot get it via your local tile supplier as suggested by 'diamond'.

Timeless John.

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks
You might be better buying 1kg tubs. The stuff goes off quick in the bucket so you need to work reasonably fast. I have never used a 5kg pack but if it is anything like the 1kg pak you mix ALL of each compnent together to make sure it sets correctly. To do this with 5kg might mean you waste a lot!

Reaction score
If there is two tilers working (or one tiler and a labourer) 5KG units is fine - one to grout and one to wash off before it sets on the face....:smilewinkgrin:

One 5KG unit should get you through 4 to 5m2 (Regardless what he BAL calculator tells you!!)

Also the temperature in the room will make a big difference as to how easy the epoxy is to use - we normally heat the grout up in warm water first while its still in the packaging, before it's mixed, this will make it much easier to use - if it gets cold it will be like using chewing gum...

Last edited:

Reply to Commercial kitchen advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay