Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning old glue off tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sarahatomic

Hi, I have a 1930's fireplace that needs cleaning. Any suggestions as to what I should clean it with? Someone suggested Nitromors but I've read on here that can be lethal to old tiles.
The problem with the fireplace is that in the 60's it was covered with melamine to disguise it- this was glued on to the tiles using some industrial strength adhesive. This has resulted in stripes of hardened yellow glue over the whole fireplace.
The grouting is filthy too- Any ideas what I can get it off with?
Thanks!
Sarah

U

user123

Hi Sarah, you might also (very likely) be lucky with acetone based nail varnish remover on the glue... sort the glue first before worrying about the grout, that can come later...

S

Sarahatomic

THanks everyone for those suggestions. Mosiac Girl- i have a bottle of nail polish to hand -will give that a whirl now. thanks too Dave for your idea..

Reply to Cleaning old glue off tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen