Search the forum,

Discuss Can you waterproof timber joist. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craftycocknet

Hi.

Im doing a stud wall.
Whats the best product to coat onto timber joists to protect them from water. As the joist are going against an old tiled wall but this is a cold surface which attracts water and so the moisture will touch the joists.

Thanks

P. S tiles cannot be removed. The joists are definitely going onto the wall....

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I take it you mean a timber wall is being built?
If you are worried, install a vapour barrier (visqueen etc) between the stud wall and the existing tiled wall.
Then insulate, between the timbers with 50mm kingspan. This will keep the moisture inside the room an detach it from the cold wall.

Or you could install a vapour barrier, fit 2x1 inch battens to the wall vertically and then use 25, or 50mm insulated plasterboard. This will have the same effect as above.

A lot depends on what the wall/ room is going to be used for.

Reply to Can you waterproof timber joist. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen