Search the forum,

Discuss Can I use Travertine for a Hearth?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,

I finished tiling a Travertine floor and kitchen last month. On the floor was 600x400 Travertine, a really nice tile once sealed,anyway theres a few left over and he has asked me if I could use them for Hearths around his fireplace.. I dont see why not, but am seeking some good advice please as to whether this is feasible.
Cheers.

Vin.:thumbsup:

B

bluevin123

Cheers guys, thats what I wanted to hear:hurray:, just wondered if the heat from the fire would be any concern really.
Cheers.
Vin.:thumbsup:

E

enduro

Is the hearth for an open fire or a gas fire. If an open fire needs to be sealed really well otherwise the ash from the fire will mark it, just advice customer this.

B

bluevin123

Cheers Endoro, yeah its an open one,will def let customer know about the sealing.
Cheers mate.

Vin

W

wayno1664

the marble will take the heat no problem . use a good flexi adhesive/grout and seal them a few times and you should be fine :thumbsup:

S

Stan001

If you mean hearth surround (the verticals) then ok, if you mean the actual hearth base then i personally wouldn’t. Although it’s ok for heat trav is too soft and the edges will chip and break when someone stands on it. A granite base can be cut for about £150 and laid in about 45 minutes – will last forever and look great forever.
(i may have misread your original posting but i think you know what i mean – would be great to see pictures afterwards, I’m always looking for fire base and surround ideas)

D

diamondtiling

If you mean hearth surround (the verticals) then ok, if you mean the actual hearth base then i personally wouldn’t. Although it’s ok for heat trav is too soft and the edges will chip and break when someone stands on it. A granite base can be cut for about £150 and laid in about 45 minutes – will last forever and look great forever.
(i may have misread your original posting but i think you know what i mean – would be great to see pictures afterwards, I’m always looking for fire base and surround ideas)

Travertine is laid on floors all the time and people walk all over it, why would the edges crack and chip Stan? If laid with 100% coverage and sealed and grouted it is perfectly ok for the fire hearth.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Can I use Travertine for a Hearth?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen