Search the forum,

Discuss Black Limestone Hearth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nordberg

Hi,

I'm after some advice on laying a black limestone hearth which will be home to a wood burner.

The hearth will be 1.4metres wide beyond the chimney recess and 1metre inside the chimney. The new hearth will sit on top of what's left of the concrete constructional hearth.

Firstly, I doubt I will be able to find the exact size flags I need, so will need them cutting and dressing. Is this something a stone supplier should be able to do? (I'm in West Yorks if anyone can recommend a supplier)

Secondly, I have read elsewhere that I should lay the flags on a fairly soft bet of sand and cement. What mix should I use? A friend suggest 1:4 using river sand? The constructional hearth is not symmetrical - one side of is about 4cm longer than the other. The end result is that the flag will be seated on the wooden floorboards. Is this going to be a problem?

Next, I'm conscious that these flags can be easily stained. Should I seal them before I start any work with them - ie before I even lay them on the base? I've read that Aqua Mix Enrich & Seal is a good solution. I don't want a sheen on the flags, just to protect them and if there's a colour enricher, then great.

Finally, do I grout them with tile grout or traditional cement based?

Many Thanks!

P

Pebbs

Nordberg,

Firstly 1:4 is the right ratio for this type of work, so your friend is right. I would have a few reservations about putting a black limestone in a heath as it tends to be open poured and dust and ash tend to settle in these pours making it difficult to clean. Have you thought about an alternative such as honed slate? If part of the stone is sitting on the floorboards you need to ensure you have no deflection in that part, if not the material could end up cracking.

If it was my house, I really would want this doing in one piece, so you need a yard that will cut to your template from the slab. Think about the slate option, Kirkstone quarries do some really lovely black slate and they can cut from the slab to your template.

Kind Regards

Lynn

A

Alberta Stone

If you are set on the limestone you could fill the holes with the right shade of black grout to match to prevent them from becoming ash traps.

D

doug boardley

Nordberg,

Firstly 1:4 is the right ratio for this type of work, so your friend is right. I would have a few reservations about putting a black limestone in a heath as it tends to be open poured and dust and ash tend to settle in these pours making it difficult to clean. Have you thought about an alternative such as honed slate? If part of the stone is sitting on the floorboards you need to ensure you have no deflection in that part, if not the material could end up cracking.

If it was my house, I really would want this doing in one piece, so you need a yard that will cut to your template from the slab. Think about the slate option, Kirkstone quarries do some really lovely black slate and they can cut from the slab to your template.

Kind Regards

Lynn
yep, I can vouch for Kirkstone, they're local to me and a top company

N

nordberg

Nordberg,

One piece sounds mighty expensive! The width is 1.4M alone.... Whilst I'd love one piece, I imagine it would be well out of my budget.

N

nordberg

Hi,

Could anyone help with questions 2 & 3 in the original post?

Another thought, is there any reason not to use tiles adhesive to bed the flags on?

Many Thanks

Reply to Black Limestone Hearth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm looking to lay a Penrhyn slate floor, approx 1.5m x 1.8m, for a first floor...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen