Search the forum,

Discuss best dark grey grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simonjay

I am trying to decide which grey grout to use between white subway tiles (spaced at 2mm).
I tried a granfix (rebadged as al-murad) "grey" and the test panel that I did was just about dark enough,
but the mix I used on the wall (mixed to a just loose double cream consistency as the first time round)
was a different batch and dried too light, so I stripped it off. I don't think overwashing was the issue,
as a blob that dried on the board looked exactly the same colour.

As is common, the colour when it was wet was really well liked ! This was a dark grey.

I am a bit wary of the mapei ultracolour grouts which apaprently loosen up after mixing and
go off pretty fast. They sound a bit risky, as I do not do tiles day in day out - like a "pro"
grout, for the highly experienced who want to finish quickly.

A "normal" grout to me is:
Mixed up to a thick double cream that stays on the float.
Tends to thicken from then on, does not act strange or go slack.
Starts to set after about 15 minutes, but you have up to an hour to finally neaten the
grout lines by running along them wtih the sponge.

Anyway, what mid-to-dark grey grout do the folks on here recommend. I want a smart darkish grout
that does not look black or tend towards "dove grey".

Thanks guys.
Simon.

I

Ian

BAL micromax smoke is what I would use if someone spec'd dark grey to me.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone 5

S

simonjay

Had a look at the bal microflex smoke in topps - looks liike a definite mid-grey to me.
I might have a look at the ardex flex range - ocean grey, slate grey or cast iron.
Now to trawl the local suppliers for Ardex before I have to go online.
Failing that, its onto Ultracolour I suppose !
Simon.

P

Pebbs

I have to turned to the 'dark side' and am liking Ardex at the moment....however this may change because I am fickle.

Pebbs

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know you are wary of UCP but their Anthracite is by far my favourite dark grey.

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
knowle kitchen.jpg

The picture (if attached!) is of Bal micromax smoke. Looks quite light in the bag but dries darker.

S

simonjay

The picture (if attached!) is of Bal micromax smoke. Looks quite light in the bag but dries darker.

Oh thats about the colour I am after - strange. Maybe I ought to get the bag back from Topps and try it then. The powder looked too light for the desired colour.
Does it not change colour much from when it is wet then ?
I suppose it has to be mixed at the exact proportions specified. Luckily BAL specify it be weight I think. Out comes the kitchen scales !
Simon.

Reply to best dark grey grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen