Discuss best bonding agent for ply floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

groutpad

what do you think is the best bonding agent to seal a ply floor befor tiling and how long before tiling does this need to be done ??:whatchutalkingabout

D

DHTiling

Always check with the adhesive guidlines.....BAL don't recommend priming the face of the ply , just the back and edges...Some adhesives say to prime like ardex say use p51....always check first.........IF you do prime use a primer that suits the adhesive ( same make ).........

G

grumpygrouter

I'm with Dave too. My normal combo is Ardex P51 with Ardex-flex7001.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

i always read manufactures full technical data before using any adhesive most are available on the web thats where you will gain most of your knowledge you don't learn this by trial and era :pete

2020Tiling

ive got a job where a joiner is laying ply soon b4 i tile it with ceramic floor tiles,. my problem is b4 he layes the ply does it make a differene wot he primes the under side and eges with? i dont mean pva!. i mean does it have to be the same stuff recomended by the adhesive manufactures for the addy? .. is just normal wood primer ok for this ? oviously i would be priming the face of the ply if needed with the correct primer to go with the flexi addy ?

T

Time's Ran Out

Terry - I know its not always possible and people don't want to pay tilers rates, but I always go in at a competitive rate to put the sub floor down.
That way you can get the joints in the right place and not half a dozen boards meeting at the first step into a room!
Not getting into any debate about sealing the underside of plywood today - its Sunday - but I'd advise Hardie backer boards in 2009.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

S

smurf21

The Best bonding prior to tiling on a plywood floor in my opinion is 6mm No More Ply or other 6mm tile backer boards.....everytime.... it is without a doubt the best surface regardless of substrate to tile on..........:hurray::8:

G

Gazebo

ive got a job where a joiner is laying ply soon b4 i tile it with ceramic floor tiles,. my problem is b4 he layes the ply does it make a differene wot he primes the under side and eges with? i dont mean pva!. i mean does it have to be the same stuff recomended by the adhesive manufactures for the addy? .. is just normal wood primer ok for this ? oviously i would be priming the face of the ply if needed with the correct primer to go with the flexi addy ?

Hi Tel,

1. You are lucky the joiner is willing to prime the edges and undersides.
2. I cant see it matters which brand he uses as it wont come into contact with your adhesive, (ok a tiny bit on the edges) It's only to stop moisture ingress from the underneath.

Keep up the good work in the arcade, I will be playing catch up when I get chance.:smilewinkgrin:

Gary
[email protected]

G

grumpygrouter

The Best bonding prior to tiling on a plywood floor in my opinion is 6mm No More Ply or other 6mm tile backer boards.....everytime.... it is without a doubt the best surface regardless of substrate to tile on..........:hurray::8:
You own shares in the company Smurf? :grin:

D

doug boardley

can't see as it makes any difference as your sealing the underside/edges and not priming:thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score

I keep wondering about this, as 6mm would definitely be preferable to 12mm.. but does it give enough strength? Saying that, i know a guy that's been tiling on 6mm ply for 20 years and (to his knowledge) has never had a fail!?!?! Makes you wonder... :yikes:

W

White Room

Know a guy of 30 years who has done the same, never had a problem as far as he knows

S

smurf21

I Know a guy who once tiled over stuck down carpet tiles in his kitchen but it doesnt make it right..:oops:

And no grumps i dont have shares but im working on it....lol

Reply to best bonding agent for ply floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22