Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

If the tiles are still stuck at least you the wall is still good. When you look through the gap between the tile can you see adhesive or wall. I ask this because if the wall tiles have been 'dot and dbbed' as opposed to full coverage, this means that any water can run between the 'dot and dab' through to the floor. If you can find where your water comes from for your shower and look for any type of isolation valves. I wouldn't turn your mains off unless you have someone to help you paul. If the water does not appear when the water is just falling into the tray I would say it is just a grout failure some where therefore leave the mixer on.

P

PaulR

There is no separate isolator for the bathroom, it all just runs straight off the mains. I can see the underneath of the two main tiles I have removed the grout from, but I see nothing when I run the shower, so I'm led to believe that the issue is not from the water supply

I am going to have to remove these two tiles though. They cover the entire width of the shower cubicle and I don't think I'll have piece of mind if I just regrout.

Is taking a hammer to them my only real option now

M

MICK the Tiler

I take it that the shower leaks only when the tap is runnng? Did you check behind the cover flange of the mixer to see if it was sealed with silicone? It could also be the hole where the shower rose is it will need to be checked as well. How fast is the leak? if it is fast I doubt whether it would be a grout problem.

F

faithhealer

I've had a couple of jobs where the grout was the problem and the water came through the ceiling straight away, but in those casese the plasterboard was shot.

F

faithhealer

No waterproofing then?
No Very few showers get waterproofed over here IMO. I don;t think builders are going to 'waste' THEIR money, they don't care what happens in years to come and is still hard to sell customers something they can't see working.

D

DHTiling

No Very few showers get waterproofed over here IMO. I don;t think builders are going to 'waste' THEIR money, they don't care what happens in years to come and is still hard to sell customers something they can't see working.

Good point john..and i think it is a point that needs addressing in this country...:thumbsup:

M

MICK the Tiler

So you don't have to waterproof a bathroom floor and walls even on the second storey?

Reply to Bathroom Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen