Currently reading:
BAL Quickset Render on uneven and damaged walls

Discuss BAL Quickset Render on uneven and damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

I have a 7 sqm kitchen wrap around splashback to do in the next couple of days "depending on the joiner fitting the new kitchen".

The walls are not in a brilliant state that need tiling, quite uneven and flaking away, and in places all the render has come away in small areas upto 25mm or so deep.

Im looking at brushing them down with a wire brush to get all loose materials off and I know realisticaly the splashback walls need plastering but the customer will not wait for that to be done, so Im looking at other options that are quicker.

Im looking at Bal quickset render to fill the deeper areas that have come away, then a general lite skim over the uneven areas to give a good enough surface to tile onto.

Does this sound ok to do ?

I recommended fitting plasterboard but customer does not want the walls to come out that much as well, so that's why Im looking at quicket render.
----
Currently I can't even find a stockist of quickset render anywhere near me that dosen't have a 2 week wait for ordering in :(

Anyone any ideas, lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NickH

TF
Ive just done my own kitchen and most of the finish plaster and some of the render came away leaving some big holes. I used a Dunlop fast set natural stone adhesive, which can go up to 25mm, to fill the big holes then Dunlop set fast plus to fix the tiles. You can build it up if you need to and its very rapid, maybe 30 minutes, so you can get the job grouted and finished in one session. Much better than waiting for a plasterer to come and make a sh**ty job of it.

Ive just done my own kitchen and most of the finish plaster and some of the render came away leaving some big holes. I used a Dunlop fast set natural stone adhesive, which can go up to 25mm, to fill the big holes then Dunlop set fast plus to fix the tiles. You can build it up if you need to and its very rapid, maybe 30 minutes, so you can get the job grouted and finished in one session. Much better than waiting for a plasterer to come and make a sh**ty job of it.
Depends on who your plasterer is..lol

F

Fekin

Update. Been back to the customers this evening, kitchen is near enough fully fitted now "joiner was just starting to fit it the other day when I went to measure up", that's why I couldn't prep the walls before it was fitted.

Customer is in a rush, as ever, and really wants mosaics instead of say square ceramics etc, but I've told her the walls cannot take mosaics as they are, even with filling the deep holes first as the whole splashback wall needs leveling out to take mosaics.

With new kitchen just been fitted she don't want anything messy doing to the walls now like plastering "wouldn't wait a few weeks anyway" so shes now thinking about me plasterboarding it out, but it will create a ridge obviously where the board runs under and past the wall units to wrap into the window.

That's why I was looking at some rapid setting render of some sorts, that I can buy locally to give me a decent back ground to tile too.

So bal rapid set sounds good, just have to find a stockist :(

Y

Yorkie

Is it a BAL product in paticular that your'e looking for?
Ardex AM100 is a very good product. Start by applying a skim / bonding coat of 2ml then you can apply upto 20ml in one go and its ready to receive tile after around 2 hours. You can also do a check on the ARDEX site to find your nearest stockist alternativley give me a call and i'll get some out to you (if you hav'nt already done job) we delivery many products nationwide.

Apologies for giving an answer thats already been said, Damn Iv'e gota remember to read every page and post instead of just the question , I 'm new to this tinternet lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to BAL Quickset Render on uneven and damaged walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.