Search the forum,

Discuss Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Charlotte8787

Well if you were that bored Jerry, why go to the trouble of replying, if it doesn’t interest you, move on.
This is a place for advice, not abuse, your comment was unnecessarily disrespectful.

thank you! I was aware it was a very long post but just feel so frustrated

You’re supposed to be a Trusted Advisor Andrew, it’s considered a privilege, not a ‘right’, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself.

The OP is clearly in distress and is looking for reassurance and guidance, I’m sure Charlotte is getting all the unhelpful comments she needs from the person carrying out the tiling.
We do not need to add to them!
Well if you were that bored Jerry, why go to the trouble of replying, if it doesn’t interest you, move on.
This is a place for advice, not abuse, your comment was unnecessarily disrespectful.

You’re supposed to be a Trusted Advisor Andrew, it’s considered a privilege, not a ‘right’, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself.

The OP is clearly in distress and is looking for reassurance and guidance, I’m sure Charlotte is getting all the unhelpful comments she needs from the person carrying out the tiling.
We do not need to add to them!

Thank you for your kind response. I was aware it was a very long post I’m just so frustrated and really don’t know where I stand.
I need to get someone else in but need to pay for what’s been done and having no experience with this sort of thing I don’t know what’s fair to pay him but without me having to save for a few more months before it can be rectified by paying someone else.

B

Blunt Tool

There is nothing there that can’t be rescued, if you have lost faith in your tiler which by the way he has conducted himself so far you have every right to then maybe time to get another tiler in

D

Dumbo

Sorry if my response was disrespectfull . But i still feel my advice was sound . If that guy was working for me i would of stopped using him a long way back into the project .

C

Charlotte8787

The chipped tiles will be hidden under bath and boxing :)
Thank you, I think I’m just like please don’t let me end up with chipped tiles that I can see. I will give it at least 30 years before even thinking of having a new bathroom again ha

O

Old Mod

From a technical standpoint, the hardibacker is incorrectly installed, Hardibacker require a minimum of 12 screws per complete board and all joints to be taped with their skrim and then feathered over with tile adhesive prior to Tiling.
He appears to have done neither.
So you have grounds to condemn the floor.
The down side to that is that you’re legally obliged to offer him the opportunity to rectify it before dismissing him.
If use that as part of your decision, make sure you make the offer to rectify in writing attaching

Hardiebackers install pdf.

This is not to say it will fail, however Hardibacker will not offer any warranty.

If you’re wanting to be in your eyes ‘fair’ and want to pay him for what he has done,
Then it could easily be argued that the cost of replacing the Hardibacker and tiles, together with the time involved, would equal any forthcoming payment.

That would leave you with compensation for the rip out.

If you do make him an offer to never darken your door again, make sure you do it in writing, along with your reasons, together with the Hardibacker installation guide AND the opportunity to correct it.

C

Charlotte8787

There is nothing there that can’t be rescued, if you have lost faith in your tiler which by the way he has conducted himself so far you have every right to then maybe time to get another tiler in
Thank you, going to contact a few today and see if I can get some people out to quote on finishing the work off. Dreading the conversation with the existing tiler

C

Charlotte8787

From a technical standpoint, the hardibacker is incorrectly installed, Hardibacker require a minimum of 12 screws per complete board and all joints to be taped with their skrim and then feathered over with tile adhesive prior to Tiling.
He appears to have done neither.
So you have grounds to condemn the floor.
The down side to that is that you’re legally obliged to offer him the opportunity to rectify it before dismissing him.
If use that as part of your decision, make sure you make the offer to rectify in writing attaching

Hardiebackers install pdf.

This is not to say it will fail, however Hardibacker will not offer any warranty.

If you’re wanting to be in your eyes ‘fair’ and want to pay him for what he has done,
Then it could easily be argued that the cost of replacing the Hardibacker and tiles, together with the time involved, would equal any forthcoming payment.

That would leave you with compensation for the rip out.

If you do make him an offer to never darken your door again, make sure you do it in writing, along with your reasons, together with the Hardibacker installation guide AND the opportunity to correct it.
Thank you for the advice, I’m going to give him a call and just try and talk things through like you say give him an opportunity to rectify any issues. As well as getting some others to hopefully come quote this weekend see how much they would charge to complete and fix it if he’s not willing to.

C

Charlotte8787

The tile is over the hardie backer board this part won’t be stood on as it’s at side of where toilet is going but will the below where the boards don’t meet the door bar need fixing sorry I’m a complete novice
1A4CEF0E-91AE-496B-86E7-ED36BAE66C27.jpeg

Reply to Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen