Search the forum,

Discuss Backing boards for a tiled kitchen floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kingcreech

Hi all

First time poster so please go easy, also first time house buyer and clueless so any help is appreciated.

We are having a new kitchen fitted this week and are going to re-do the floor with tiles so this room is completely finished. When we have gone to lift the laminate currently in place in the kitchen they have laid this over existing tiles fixed to the concrete floor.

The laminate in the house goes from the kitchen to the dining, hallway and living room on one continuous lay. No breaks or joins.

I want to keep the laminate in the hallway, dining and living room but this now means trying to level up the new kitchen floor to the laminate.

So this brings me to backing boards :smilewinkgrin:

Is this what I should be using to lift the tiles from the concrete to get a nice even level with the existing floor?

Also, am I ok to list the company/website where I have seen these boards for sale or is that against forums rules? I'd like to make sure I'm buying from a half decent seller.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Hi welcome to the forum.

After you have removed the old tiles just use a self levelling compound to bring the floor up to the height you need. Its far quicker than laying boards.

:thumbsup:

K

kingcreech

Hi welcome to the forum.

After you have removed the old tiles just use a self levelling compound to bring the floor up to the height you need. Its far quicker than laying boards.

:thumbsup:

Hi, cheers for the welcome.

So is this a better way of levelling the floor?
Also, would you do this before fitting the new kitchen? So the kitchen sits on top of the leveller compound?

Being new to the game I'm trying to figure out the stuff in my head so I know what to talk about to the tiler etc.

Thanks for the fast reply

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Kingcreech

:welcome: you've come to the best place to find out about tiling :yesnod:

with regards to self levelling, this will give you a good surface to lay tiles on. the best advise would be yes, self level before the new kitchen goes in. even better, self level and then tile before you have your new kitchen installed if you have the budget to tile under the kitchen cabinets.

provided that the existing tiles are lifted, you should be able to pour a self levelling compound to bring you close to the heights of adjoining rooms, and when your tiles are down complete with the adhesive, you will be able to get a near perfect match height wise.

K

kingcreech

hi Kingcreech

:welcome: you've come to the best place to find out about tiling :yesnod:

with regards to self levelling, this will give you a good surface to lay tiles on. the best advise would be yes, self level before the new kitchen goes in. even better, self level and then tile before you have your new kitchen installed if you have the budget to tile under the kitchen cabinets.

provided that the existing tiles are lifted, you should be able to pour a self levelling compound to bring you close to the heights of adjoining rooms, and when your tiles are down complete with the adhesive, you will be able to get a near perfect match height wise.

Thanks for the advice, would tiling under the kitchen be normal practice? I was told to tile around the kitchen incase the floor needed to be lifted for any reason etc.

Also, please can you let me know a good place to source the levelling compound? I have a screwfix nearby if they stock the stuff.
(sorry if this is against forum rules, I haven't had a chance to a look through the forum conditions yet)

Thanks again for the help

D

Deleted member 9966

hi there

it depends who you talk to as to whether tiling under the kitchen units would be normal practice. Some people do with the future in mind - i.e. if they can't afford the kitchen of their dreams now and settle for something else in the mean time, they might consider tiling their entire kitchen floor to prevent having to relay the floor at a later date if they decide to change the layout. Or some people may be having kitchen units that have legs on show rather than hidden by kickboards so would prefer to have the floor tiled all the way under for cleaning purposes.

The majority of people will simply tile around the units, just the floor area that is seen and used. So I would suggest it's down to personal preference.

as for places to purchase Self Levelling Compound, have you tried Tile Giant?

D

diamondtiling

Whoever gave you that reason for not tiling the whole floor needs two cucumbers shoving up his nose for being so dim.
Have you a tile giant near by because they will have everything you need for your floor and at better prices than the big DIY sheds

K

kingcreech

Whoever gave you that reason for not tiling the whole floor needs two cucumbers shoving up his nose for being so dim.
Have you a tile giant near by because they will have everything you need for your floor and at better prices than the big DIY sheds

I literally laughed out loud when I read that :lol:

Thanks will check out Tile Giant, I'm sure there will be one near by.

Thanks for the help folk

(no doubt I'll be back soon)

K

kingcreech

Is this the stuff I need peeps

Latex Plan 20kg Two Part Flexible Self Levelling Compound - Floor Tile Adhesive - Tile Adhesive & Grout

D

Deleted member 9966

that looks like the stuff you need :thumbsup: if you need any technical advice about it's usage, you can always ring Mapei's technical helpline as they are very friendly and helpful Technical Helpline: 0121 508 6970

K

kingcreech

that looks like the stuff you need :thumbsup: if you need any technical advice about it's usage, you can always ring Mapei's technical helpline as they are very friendly and helpful

Thanks alot

I'll now try and know what I'm talking about to a few tilers I'm getting quotes from.

PS - does the store finder work for you on Tile Giant, I'm having no joy with it loading

T

tootall66

Hi & Welcome, Where are you from? how about putting your job in the "I need a tiler " thread
You may get someone on here local to you
Good Luck

Reply to Backing boards for a tiled kitchen floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen