Search the forum,

Discuss B & Q Readymixed Floor Tile Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

sjorlo

TF
Reaction score
if you are going to pursue b&spew over this matter i would claim you laid the tiles yourself and not a professional for the purposes that you didn't know any better! they will probably throw the line that a professional should know what to use,if that doesn't work then i would pursue the tiler for absolute stupidity on his part!

I'd love them to say a professional shouldn't have used it as it's not suitable for tiling floors, then legally they are admitting their stuff is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act. Unfortunately I don't think I can persue the tiler and to be honest I don't blame them for it - although they should have said the stuff was crap.

sjorlo

TF
Reaction score
I certainly will, thanks for your comments. I might need an email or letter from a "decent" professional tiler stating that the stuff isn't fit for purpose if things get legal (which is an avenue I'm more than prepared to go down, I'm a right ( NO SWEARING)when big companies do me over), any takers?? If I could get a few tilers prepared to say for example "In my xx years experience, this adhesive is not fit to use when tiling floors" they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. They are going to let me know on Tuesday after the bank holiday what they are going to do about it, so if I'm armed with your professional opinions if things don't go my way, I (hopefully) should get the outcome I need, 'cos I certainly can't afford to put it right.

Thanks again

Simon

D

DHTiling

Our comments are of course just our opinions and not to be used in a court of law...:thumbsup:

p.s... no swearing plz...

B

bighen

Hi Sjorlo.
Horrible stuff.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

B&Q however did have a bad batch of own brand adhesive not so long back.
My bro-in-law got caught out with it. (Idiot for cheap scaping in the first place)
His tiles kept de-laminating.
He complained to B&Q and they reimbursed him accordingly.
Might be worth a try

D

d noulton

tiler should know better I advise my customers if they are providing their own materials I need to see them beforehand to see if they are suitable for the job if not can't gaurentee the work

O

Olz

I would never use it in a million years, however rubbish it is though i doubt you will get them to agree its not fit for purpose, I have seen it used by a family member a couple of years ago, it stated on the tub that it could not be grouted until completley set, the instructions were followed and to be fair the tiles are still down today no problems.

The issue with the stuff is that it has to be used in a very specific way, ie not thickly, only with ceramic and must be left to dry out thouroughly before grouting.

The tiler shouldnt have touched the stuff with a bargepole, and to be honest at nearly £20 a tub, the tiler should have been able to get quality gear for you for less cash.

How long was it left before grouting?

PVA underneath, tile and grout ontop will have left nowhere for the liquid to evaporate away allowing the adhesive to cure.

Horrible stuff and I hope you get a good result from B&Q but sorry this isnt what you want to hear, I cant see them stating that its not fit for purpose as a floor adhesive, as rubbish as it is.

:thumbsdown:

Reply to B & Q Readymixed Floor Tile Adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.