Currently reading:
B&Q black porcelain windsor tiles -removing wax and sealing

Discuss B&Q black porcelain windsor tiles -removing wax and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,
I've bought some of the B&Q black porcelain windsor tiles for our kitchen along with the heavy duty cleaner they sell to remove the transit wax, but it isn't working!

We have a fair few to do so we need to use something that is going to work to get the wax off properly so we don't have to keep doing it, and then seal them after so the grout doesn't stain them as this seems to be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best thing to use and where I can get it?

Many thanks
Tiffany

Hi,

I've tried removing the tranist wax with grimex before we've laid the tiles as i was concerned that the grout would stain/ dull them but it's such a depressing and unrewarding experience.
I've been using it neat, applying with a sponge and scourer and then aggitating after 10 mins then again after another 15 mins then cleaning off with water but it doesn't seem to be working, it comes off in patches but not off the whole tile.

Would i still be ok to put the floor down and then try again and seal or would that lead to more staining than i was originally worried about?

I've read about aquafix nanoscrub, is this any good and where can i get it from? it's from the USA and i can't seem to find it anywhere!

thanks for any help you can offer :)

Tiff

S

sunbabemel

hi, we had these from b and q but in the cream, we had no problem getting it off with the dewaxer stuff from b and q in the silver bottle, we just put it in a bowl, put gloves on and got a sponge, dipped it in bowl with the stuff in and just rubbed all over the tile, you dont actually see it come off, any way do that leave it on for ten or more mins, we leaned them all against a wall bit like dominos, then when we had done about 15, we stopped, then get the first one you did, and like wash it in hot water, you can see before you wash it off like smears of wax on the top, the hot water brings it off, then after washing towel dry and stand again like dominos agains wall,then when you have washed and dryed the last one, start again by putting the sealer on, pour it in a spray bottle lot easier, then spray tiles , leave on for about ten mins then like polish them with clean cloth, it took us 4 hours to do 45 tiles, and then when they have been layed and grouted seal them again. we did them outside in the garden put each tile onsomething about waist height, or your back will be killing.they do look nice when down, let me know how you go on.

S

sunbabemel

Can you tell me the name of the de waxer you used

Whitby
sorry havnt got the bottle now , but i know it was the one recomended on the sheet of paper inside the box of tiles, it gives you the code as well so make sure you get the right one, it should be next to the tiles in b and q. in a silver bottle. only small bottle but it does do a lot of tiles we did 75 with it. hard work but got to be done.

Hi,
So after trying 3 products, lithofin fz intensive cleaner, Grimex and the B&Q recommended heavy duty cleaner i was in tears as the tiles were all still smeary and patchy with wax. Fed up with my moaning my husband went through the cleaning cupboard and found some PVCu cream cleaner for UPVC window frames (bit like cif/jif), we gave it a go, scubbing with a scourer washed off with water and BINGO! all the wax off in minutes, no smearing and it doesn't scratch.

Only got another 80 to do but at least it's progress :)
tiff

G

golden

Hi I read your comments about the B&Q windsor tiles I had a large area done in kitchen,dining and famiy room bought 50 boxes OMG what a pain, followed the instructions to the letter used the QEP cleaner, then sealer they were dreadful I spoke to the QEP manufactuer who said they had formulated a special WAX remover for B&Q has they had so many problems ...!! So went back to basics stripped the floor with the cleaner then used the wax remover........STILL A FLIPPING SMEARED MESS it did not remove the wax I am so FRUSTRATED I even complianed to B&Q guess what they said GET THE WAX OFF but HOW....? Mine are Biege paid a HUGE amount for this floor and it is a terrible smeared mess...! You say you used the PVC frame cream cleaner can you remember what the make is..?? How are your tiles now do they streak when you mop them..? I have had tiled & marbled floors for 30yrs in several house's in the UK & other parts of the world I have NEVER known any like these...!! B & Q have a duty of care to customers on the products they sell to us if enough of us get together we can be compensated for the time we have spent, because what B&Q tell us to do & use on the box & packaging is INCORRECT... PLEASE HELP

Reply to B&Q black porcelain windsor tiles -removing wax and sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.