Search the forum,

Discuss are courses better than a good book ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

woodie

i started with a short 3 day course with norcros and got myself in with taylor tiles where i worked with an experienced tiler who taught me all i neede to know(nice guy Pete) the course only cost 80 quid but it was worth it just to get the job with taylors....:yes:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one woodie, well done mate. I too did a BAL wall course (never found time to do the floor one). Although at the time is was free to do, as it pushed their brand whilst providing the training.

V

Varley

Fair enough Varley, Please accept my appologies. Maybe I did read more into your post than I should have. Just that when you expressed surprize when I said I was still learning even after 20+yrs in the Tiling Trade, your intimation seemed to suggest that tho my knowledge of the Trade was still somewhat lacking,that you, after doing a short course, could supply that knowledge. If this was not the case, then again I appologise for getting a bit steamed up.

No probs at all Brio m8 and believe me, I was not suggesting that I could supply that knowledge, there is no one on this forum soaking up more information than me as each day goes by, be it through experience on the job or by coming on this forum and there is still so much that I haven't experienced yet.

I was happy with what I got out of my five day course, it was exactly what I was looking for, however, in my opinion, the best form of training is still the apprenticeship, if only I knew at the time that tiling was what I wanted to do then that would have been the route I would have took. However at the age of 27 with a wife, mortgage and a kid, apprenticeship is not an option.

G

GazTech

So I think we all agree a book couldn't teach it you all, nor a tiling course. But I think you've got a much better chance getting into the trade if you do a course rather than read a book, i'd buy the book too if you enjoy reading or at least loan a couple from your local library.
I remember a bloke on Grand designs ,who read a book for each project...he built a magnificent staircase..some people are just clever both academicaly,and practically...I fall into both catagories....I know...it's a burden........Gaz

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember a bloke on Grand designs ,who read a book for each project...he built a magnificent staircase..some people are just clever both academicaly,and practically...I fall into both catagories....I know...it's a burden........Gaz

You charmer you. :8:

S

Shuntstick

Did you mean Academically?
:thinking2:

Reply to are courses better than a good book ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen