Search the forum,

Discuss are courses better than a good book ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

Having worked for two manufacturers and one tile distributor in the tile industry I can honestly say that the majority of problems I have come across with tile installations are due to poor workmanship. The problem with the tile industry is that someone can set themselves up as a tiler after reading a book when actually they have never seen a tile being laid. Could someone install a gas boiler or wire in some lights without the relevant qualifications I think not.
I'm not knocking any particular people but generally the standard of tiling in this country is pretty poor and the only way to improve this is through education. Anybody can stick tiles to a wall or floor including myself and in no way do I consider myself to be a tiler but what makes the difference between a good tiler and a bad tiler is knowing how to cope with tricky situations and use products correctly. I've been to site where BAL Ble Star has been used to stick Porcelain to screeded floors, I've seen 300 x 300 ceramic tiles stuck to walls with a small dab of adhesive in each corner and then fall in to the bath and I've seen areas of thousands of metres laid without a movement joint. If the people that had installed these tiles had been educated properly these problem wouldn't have happened.
I would imagine that any credible tiling course or college will now be in some way connected with the Tile Association and I should think this is a bench mark of a worthwile course.
In my experience most of the colleges offering NVQ courses have a staff of people who have served time on the tools and have worked round various problems on site, this info is then passed to the students.
I guess what ;m trying to say is that in my opinion a book is in no way a substitute for a good tiling course.
If the TTA have there way then eventually noboby will be able to tile without a qualification and the paperwork to prove it so education will be the only way. For people looking to get into tiling it would be best to be prepared now and not just rely on something bought from a bookshop.

T

tiler burden

5 day courses, apprenticeships, books, dvds, free help and advice, forums

there all good if they work and help you get from a-b. theres no definative way, its whatever works for you personally or whats available to you at the time. its all relative, its all non definable...

go with what you have, thats all anyone can do...

hope my 2 pence worth helps

ed

G

GazTech

Everyone deserves an opportunity,whatever it maybe.Some people may help them,some may rip them off,this is life.When starting out any venture especially work,people should study the pro's and con's and have the freedom of choice to go their own way.I actually heard of an experienced tiler who charged newbies good money to watch him and labour for him....he was of course strung up when caught ..I myself will always help the new breed of craftsmen,and encourage new blood from sitting in a computer chair for a living ...tiling is not only an art..it is also better than twice a week at some backwater gym....by the way Gymnasiums...RIP OFF BASTRDS....massive money when a free run will do.....Gaz

B

Brio

I for one have to agree with croc, Tiling is hardly rocket science. I also remember the days when Tiling was classed as semi skilled. & some other Trades also, like Scaffolding & Steel Fixing for example. Having worked in the Building Industry for nearly 40 yrs. Man & boy. I first started Tiling 20+yrs ago with no formal training. the contractor I worked for asked me to do some splash backs in the kitchens & bathrooms of the newbuild houses, which saved me from being rained off. Basic tools were a glass cutter & a pair of nipps. In that time I've developed my own modus operandi,(as we all do)& picked up many good tips from a lot of good tilers I've worked with over the years, & I have to say, I'm still learning. I too have serious doubts about how efective these short term courses are, not only Tiling, but Plumbing, Plastering,Bricklaying,etc. It would be interesting to hear from some people who've done these courses

K

Kevan8919

Brio, I'm a recent joiner to the tiling trade and you post a couple of interesting points. Your post indicates that you haven't been on any courses and your expertise has been gained from being around trained tilers who passed on information which you have presumably used over the years. The course I've been on covered the basics of tiling 1, Setting out, 2 measuring and cutting ( wet and dry) 3, grouting. We had a wall with sink, window, and two different waste outlets to tile and a floor with irregular sides.
I agree that it takes many years experience to be called a TILER, but without formal training of any kind and learning from a mentor I wonder how long it took you to be comfortable tiling a room without supervision?
After one weeks training I feel that I could tile a complete bathroom now and make a decent job of it, not like some of the obvious experts who subscribe to this forum, but certailnly of a good enough standard that I wouldn't be embarrassed taking someone's money doing it. If I hadn't done the training I wonder how long it would take me to learn by osmosis from a pro.

Kev

V

Varley

I for one have to agree with croc, Tiling is hardly rocket science. I also remember the days when Tiling was classed as semi skilled.

I first started Tiling 20+yrs ago with no formal training.

& I have to say, I'm still learning.

Little bit of a contradiction there Brio, you say tiling is not rocket science but yet 20 years down the line your still learning, what is taking you so long if it's not that complicated?

You said you would like to hear from someone who has done a short course, well here I am, what would you like to know mate and i'll be only too happy to respond.

B

Brio

Take it easy Varley old son, sorry if my comments ruffled afew feathers, yours or anyone elses. But Crocotile raised a few pointers that I thoroughly agree with, and I'm entitled to an opinion like anyone else,even tho' you don't agree with it.
Let me first of all deal with that caustic little barb you threw at me. No it was not "a little bit of a contradiction", and yes even after 20 odd yrs in the business. Unlike you, I'm still not too proud to say I'm still learning. Do you honestly regard yourself as being so good at what you do, that there is no more to learn? If you do, then you are saddly deluded, surely. EVEN A MASTER CAN LEARN FROM NOVICE!......
Allow me to clarify my point. I hold a C&G qualification in Bricklaying gained back in the 60s after a 5yr Apprenticeship. Back then, if a "Trade" was not preceded by a 5yr Apprenticeship, it was not regarded as a Trade. Any skilled job requiring anything less than 5yrs training was classed as Semi Skilled. And Tiling came under that category. I'm sorry but thats a fact. And for you to assume that you can impart Knowledge that I don't have, even tho' you don't know me or my circumstances, And all because you've done a short course, is nothing short of bare faced arrogance

V

Varley

Take it easy Varley old son, sorry if my comments ruffled afew feathers, yours or anyone elses. But Crocotile raised a few pointers that I thoroughly agree with, and I'm entitled to an opinion like anyone else,even tho' you don't agree with it.

AT no point in my post did I say that you were not in titled tyo an opinion mate, I was merely responding with my opinion which I am entitled to do.

Unlike you, I'm still not too proud to say I'm still learning. Do you honestly regard yourself as being so good at what you do, that there is no more to learn? If you do, then you are saddly deluded, surely. EVEN A MASTER CAN LEARN FROM NOVICE!......

If you could quote me from my post where I said I was too proud to say i'm still learning I would be eternaly greatful mate, if you can't, please don't put words in my mouth. At no point in any of my posts in this forum have I ever claimed to be too good to still learn, believe me I know i still have loads to learn in this field.
----
Allow me to clarify my point. I hold a C&G qualification in Bricklaying gained back in the 60s after a 5yr Apprenticeship. Back then, if a "Trade" was not preceded by a 5yr Apprenticeship, it was not regarded as a Trade. Any skilled job requiring anything less than 5yrs training was classed as Semi Skilled. And Tiling came under that category. I'm sorry but thats a fact. And for you to assume that you can impart Knowledge that I don't have, even tho' you don't know me or my circumstances, And all because you've done a short course, is nothing short of bare faced arrogance

At what point did I make this assumption Brio, you seem to have taken my post very personally I can assure you it was not meant to offend and I apologise if it did. In your post you wanted to hear from someone who had done a short course, I reponded and asked what you would like to know. I don't know what you have read into this, but by the tone of your post you have obviously read something into it. Again I ask you to quote me anywhere that I have suggested I have more knowledge in the subject than you.

I will ignore the 'bare faced arrogance' remark, please don't make your posts personal, keep them relevant to the discussion, this is not a forum for name calling!
----
I know a tiler with a service record of 35 years, his dad was a tiler so where going back a few years. Me and a mate were doing a subway and invited him to help, he said I've never done one. I was on a job and phoned him and ask him about a arch he'd never done one, so you can go thru years of work but certain jobs you may have never have touched. Never to old to learn

In my opinion the day you stop learning is the day you hang up your trowel.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

I know a tiler with a service record of 35 years, his dad was a tiler so where going back a few years. Me and a mate were doing a subway and invited him to help, he said I've never done one. I was on a job and phoned him and ask him about a arch he'd never done one, so you can go thru years of work but certain jobs you may have never have touched. Never to old to learn

Reply to are courses better than a good book ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen