Search the forum,

Discuss Angle Grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tay1974

Hi All,

I have seen some posts on here about Angle Grinders and was wondering what you used them for when tiling?

I have my trusty rubi cutter and a plasplugs wet saw, so I dont know why I would need a angle grinder.

Am i missing something?

Thanks

D

DHTiling

You can use them for the occasional L cut on tiles to removing humps in floor and removong paint ( with suitable attachments)..

You can use them for bullnosing stone tiles and buffing finish....alsorts of uses really...:thumbsup:

R

Rav daniels

hi tay1974, personally mate it is one of the best bits of kit i have ever bought, use it all the time mainly on stone jobs, its faster, and cleaner.
for straight cuts on stone i always use my wet cut table saw, but for angled cuts i use the grinder, i use a straight edge of another tile, or a straight piece of batton as a guide rail for the blade.
it is especially good for taking little notches out(pipes, bath legs, and the likes) i know you can do it all with the wet cutter, but i find it easier and quicker. hope this helps

R

R Montgomery

They are great for so many little details.Things like cutting holes and cutting little pieces off cement board,roughing up tiles to tile over,cutting chases for UFH wires,fixing concrete and a thousand and one other uses especially to finish off the cut when dealing with larger tiles when it can be difficult to get the right angle on the wet cutter.Wouldn,t leave home without one.

robbbin

TF
Reaction score
Love the grinder ideal for hole cuts like kitchen sockets nothing better example 30*30 with light switch in middle mark out hole gut along lines to the corner then turn over cut to corner again job done My second fav bit of kit

D

doug boardley

they're like a tilers equivalent of a band saw, great for non linear cuts, curves etc:thumbsup:

2Balls

Hi, when dust or burning laid tiles is not a problem, then a angle Grinder is an essential tool for every Tiler,you can take precations, for the above.With the right Blades or Borers, disks ect its a must! :8:2Balls

C

craig1010

I use a an angle grinder for almost anything that cant be cut using my Sigma tile cutter, if the tile doesn't break or shatter. The guy who taught me used it just the same, and his cuts were very neat and it was much faster. I rarely use a wet cutter as I find it much slower. The key to a good gut with the grinder is the blade, either a Narcrist (from Tradetiler) or a Norton (from Screwfix), both about £35. I have both blades and the Norton can cut faster as the blade is slightly thinner, but doesn't quite last as long. Also, when buying a grinder, make sure it is as light as possible. I use a Bosch one (£40 from Screwfix), weighs about 2.4kg and I would be lost without it. The battery grinders are very handy, but not so light or balanced for intricate cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

can use it to cut large format tiles if you dont hae a big enough cutter to cut tile.:thumbsup:

R

rob

most important tool I have. I would even go as far to say that if I was starting out all over again it would be the first tool I would buy! Some small jobs I don't even take my straight cutter, I just use my little makita.

Good tip for cutting straight lines with it, is to mark your line and then put masking tape along it. Then you can cut to the tape, helps keep you straight and prevents chipping

Reply to Angle Grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen