Currently reading:
Angle Grinders

Discuss Angle Grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rav daniels

hi tay1974, personally mate it is one of the best bits of kit i have ever bought, use it all the time mainly on stone jobs, its faster, and cleaner.
for straight cuts on stone i always use my wet cut table saw, but for angled cuts i use the grinder, i use a straight edge of another tile, or a straight piece of batton as a guide rail for the blade.
it is especially good for taking little notches out(pipes, bath legs, and the likes) i know you can do it all with the wet cutter, but i find it easier and quicker. hope this helps

R

R Montgomery

They are great for so many little details.Things like cutting holes and cutting little pieces off cement board,roughing up tiles to tile over,cutting chases for UFH wires,fixing concrete and a thousand and one other uses especially to finish off the cut when dealing with larger tiles when it can be difficult to get the right angle on the wet cutter.Wouldn,t leave home without one.

C

craig1010

I use a an angle grinder for almost anything that cant be cut using my Sigma tile cutter, if the tile doesn't break or shatter. The guy who taught me used it just the same, and his cuts were very neat and it was much faster. I rarely use a wet cutter as I find it much slower. The key to a good gut with the grinder is the blade, either a Narcrist (from Tradetiler) or a Norton (from Screwfix), both about £35. I have both blades and the Norton can cut faster as the blade is slightly thinner, but doesn't quite last as long. Also, when buying a grinder, make sure it is as light as possible. I use a Bosch one (£40 from Screwfix), weighs about 2.4kg and I would be lost without it. The battery grinders are very handy, but not so light or balanced for intricate cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rob

most important tool I have. I would even go as far to say that if I was starting out all over again it would be the first tool I would buy! Some small jobs I don't even take my straight cutter, I just use my little makita.

Good tip for cutting straight lines with it, is to mark your line and then put masking tape along it. Then you can cut to the tape, helps keep you straight and prevents chipping

D

Deleted member 1779

Yup we use an angle grinder...

Mostly on socket work. But also when making shop displays of tiles for our boards.

Dsc09484.jpg

Dirt cheap to buy (some are less than £20)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Have never used an angle grinder for tile cutting, wet cutter all the time

Nor me - but I know on many a job I wished I had one for various other things and I reckon once I get the hang of it for tile cutting I won't look back

Reply to Angle Grinders in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x 120cm). Unfortunately, the tile was discontinued over the past few months and I need ~200sqft (~20-25...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.