Currently reading:
Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles!

Discuss Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please

My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor.

The fitter has done/hasn't done some things that I'm 99% sure aren't good practice, but he has convinced my Dad it is fine.

I have only done Able skills basic tiling course, but I was soaking up info like a sponge, so maybe I'm wrong, but so far my research and gut says otherwise.

The biggest issue I have, is that he has dot and dabbed the tiles to the wall. 800x800 porcelain at 8mm thick. His excuse was that the wall wasn't level, which is no excuse really because surely he should have leveled the wall before tiling. I called him out on it, he told my Dad it is perfectly fine.

He then proceeded to dot and dab the tiles onto the new wall that he built, which presumably is flat and level. Although he has done it in ply, which to my understanding isn't a suitable substrate for a shower wall?

There is no tanking on the plywood shower wall or under the bath.

I then came back yesterday to find the bathroom floor is about 16-18mm higher than the hallway carpet floor, which means a massive lip.

To top it off, it looks like the floor has been dot and dabbed too.

Some tiles aren't lined up properly or grout lines are different widths. Not big discrepancies, but considering the size of the tiles and there are only 6 tiles laid, seems a bit pony to me.

I've attached some photos. As I said, I'm a beginner when it comes to tiling, so help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240523_000429.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20240525_121244.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240524_233158.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240523_000959.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-20240523-WA0010.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20240523_000935.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240523_001129.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240523_001118.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240523_000553.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20240523_000438.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 62
Not the best practice. Heavy tiles. I personally wouldn't have gone on ply and I think I can see some OSB there as well. Walls look well out and should have been sorted. All in all not great.
What's with the timber at the bottom?
Thanks for the feedback mate.

I guess he is a tiler by tradesorry supposed to be, as his son is the plumber.
Yeah I only noticed the OSB last night not even flush with the ply, and a load of rubbish chucked behind the walls they built (even though we have a skip)

The timber at the bottom is what he used to set off from.

It's only been a few days and one of the top tiles has popped off the ply already!

Attachments

• 20240526_145410.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240526_145240.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 52

My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor.

The fitter has done/hasn't done some things that I'm 99% sure aren't good practice, but he has convinced my Dad it is fine.

I have only done Able skills basic tiling course, but I was soaking up info like a sponge, so maybe I'm wrong, but so far my research and gut says otherwise.

The biggest issue I have, is that he has dot and dabbed the tiles to the wall. 800x800 porcelain at 8mm thick. His excuse was that the wall wasn't level, which is no excuse really because surely he should have leveled the wall before tiling. I called him out on it, he told my Dad it is perfectly fine.

He then proceeded to dot and dab the tiles onto the new wall that he built, which presumably is flat and level. Although he has done it in ply, which to my understanding isn't a suitable substrate for a shower wall?

I then came back yesterday to find the bathroom floor is about 16-18mm higher than the hallway carpet floor, which means a massive lip.

Some tiles aren't lined up properly or grout lines are different widths. Not big discrepancies, but considering the size of the tiles and there are only 6 tiles laid, seems a bit pony to me.

I've attached some photos. As I said, I'm a beginner when it comes to tiling, so help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is defect after defect im afraid , at least is not finished and can be salvaged .

Yeah, discussed it all with him, got him to change all the ply to tile backer board and tile with the correct method of adhesive application 👍
Would of gone cement board can get in 6mm and 12mm , or a green plasterboard or tile backer certainly not wood .
Looks like a easy in bath probably would of done the room while leaving the bath in the garage
Your going to have to project manage that job or going to end up with a mess

Bucks
Yeah this guy doesn’t know how too tile I’m sorry you’ve got such a bad tradesmen doing your bathroom. I’ve been tiling 12 years tiling is a different game nowadays using large format tiles takes knowledge and skill. so many cowboys out here taking on jobs that they can’t do I can’t get my head round people still dot and dabbing they use a notched trowel but dot and dab tiles 😂😂. 30 years ago that was the practice but now there’s a lot more too it what ever you do don’t pay this guy and kick him off the job.

Prep is key with tiling. walls dont have too be level as in in the bubble as some times with old houses and certain circumstances it’s impossible but bows and bumps can be sorted using bonding and a straight edge prior too tiling. Flat is what your looking for building tiles out with adhesive shouldn’t be done as you end up with hollow points.
Technically tiling out of plumb is a defect unless the customer is willing to accept it , like you say some walls are 1 and 3/4 inch out of plumb

demi34

TF
Arms
romford essex

Hi they have to come out and walls replaced with hardiebaker boards

Thanks for all of your feedback.
Here is a little update for you all.

He installed took the tiles off and installed tile backer board...then proceeded to do a bad job.
I told my folks to sack him off, unfortunately they didn't listen. Now he says they're just being fussy, thankfully they withheld the next payment, so there is that. I will post some photos of the mostly finished job.

Also no tanking or anything under the bath.

Oh and where the tiles aren't cut level.with each other, apparently that is ok because they will mask it off and paint over the tiles 🤣🤦🏻

Attachments

• IMG-20240614-WA0009.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20240615-WA0004.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20240615-WA0006.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20240614-WA0016.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20240614-WA0011.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20240614-WA0008.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20240614-WA0004.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20240614-WA0007.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for all of your feedback.
Here is a little update for you all.

He installed took the tiles off and installed tile backer board...then proceeded to do a bad job.
I told my folks to sack him off, unfortunately they didn't listen. Now he says they're just being fussy, thankfully they withheld the next payment, so there is that. I will post some photos of the mostly finished job.

Also no tanking or anything under the bath.

Oh and where the tiles aren't cut level.with each other, apparently that is ok because they will mask it off and paint over the tiles 🤣🤦🏻
Sorry to see
Really if with-holding payment need to serve the contractor a Notice of intent .
To cover basic points
1, The problems , snags , whats wrong with the job , a list
2, What you want doing about it .
3, When you want it doing by
4, When he will get his money

Sorry to see
Really if with-holding payment need to serve the contractor a Notice of intent .
To cover basic points
1, The problems , snags , whats wrong with the job , a list
2, What you want doing about it .
3, When you want it doing by
4, When he will get his money
Thanks mate. We are going to get an invoice from another tiler, to see how much it will cost to put everything right and go from there.
He has already had way too much money up front and hasn't actually finished the job yet, so it is a bit tricky.

Thanks mate. We are going to get an invoice from another tiler, to see how much it will cost to put everything right and go from there.
He has already had way too much money up front and hasn't actually finished the job yet, so it is a bit tricky.
In UK contract law before getting quotes to put the job right must first give the original contractor fair notice to correct alleged defects , is only if he fails to rectify , next step would be to get estimate from expert witness , not a tradesman .
The cuts for the niche id a spent an hour lugging a 40kg wet saw around just to do those few cuts , its just not fair he can get away with that and i cant be so much as 0.5mm out

Last edited:

Reply to Advice please, bathroom fitter has dot and dabbed tiles! in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement