Discuss Advice on re tiling kitchen backsplash in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I'm in the process of doing some refurbishment at my flat and the kitchen is my last area to tackle. I've taken.off the old tiles and that took the plaster with it. So a few weeks ago I had that re skimmed. The tiles I'll be using are 100x200 non bevelled metro tiles. I've done some tiling before so I'm looking forward to getting started and have seen lots of amazing jobs done on this site. The advice I'm looking for is around the setting out. I've attatched a picture of my kitchen area that I'll be tiling. Before I do anything I'm going to layout the tiles on the worktop and see how they sit in terms of cuts and centering the tiles with the hob etc. But when it comes to the window and sink should I do the same thing and treat it as a separate wall even though it's not quite central as I've got kitchen units on the left of that window? I've also got some boxing in that I need to replace as it was previously tiled but it was on moisture resistant MDF and from my research that's not the best thing to use. There's going to be one socket on the boxing in section as well so would tile backing board be ok to use for this area? Thank you in advance for any advice given.
Regards Gary

20190425_120416.jpg

S

Spare Tool

Guessing your planning on brick bond? ...Centre your hob/extractor, wouldn't worry to much about centering sink/window wall if nothings centred on it anyway, try and wrap cuts round corners near enough.
Prime the new skim beforehand.
12mm plasterboard will be fine for the boxing, unless you feel it might get some moisture ingress from behind, in that case I'd probably pick up a sheet of 12mm backer board for it...

Reaction score
Guessing your planning on brick bond? ...Centre your hob/extractor, wouldn't worry to much about centering sink/window wall if nothings centred on it anyway, try and wrap cuts round corners near enough.
Prime the new skim beforehand.
12mm plasterboard will be fine for the boxing, unless you feel it might get some moisture ingress from behind, in that case I'd probably pick up a sheet of 12mm backer board for it...
Good evening thank you very much for getting back to me. Yes sorry forgot to say I'll be doing a brick bond. Today I've picked up some backer board just for belts and braces so I'll get cracking with the tiling soon enough. Thanks once again.

Regards Gary

Reaction score
Well I finally had some days to myself so got cracking with the tiling in the kitchen. I'm happy with the end results. Just got to give the tiles a good clean of excess adhesive and grout the tiles and add some silicone sealant. Thanks again for the advice. Regards Gary.
20190815_133029.jpg

Reply to Advice on re tiling kitchen backsplash in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks