Search the forum,

Discuss Adding Latex to Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

velcro

TF
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been recommended by my tile shop to grout my wetroom walls with a grout powder mixed with latex rather than water (it's an italian manufacturer - grout: Pagina non trovata - http://www.technokolla.com/immagini-post/download/catalogo/en/technocolors0910GB.pdf latex admixture: Pagina non trovata - http://www.technokolla.com/immagini-post/download/catalogo/en/tc-stuk0807GB.pdf). The manuf. recommends the admixture for swimming pools, so seems a bit OTT for a wetroom.

What's it like to use grout+latex? as nasty to clear up as it sounds? Since the latex is twice as expensive as the powder I'm adding it to, I'm tempted to just go with the grout & add water.

Any comments?

velcro

TF
Reaction score
Just use Mapei Grout, job done.

The grout they are recommending is described as:
"TECHNCOLORS mainly consists of high-strength cements, selected quartz mineral
charges, synthetic resins and specific additives.
MICROSHIELD SYSTEM provides active protection that helps to prevent the
growth of bacteria, fungi and mould, which can cause stains and damage the
grouting.
Moreover, the new COLOR SAVE SYSTEM prevents the colors of the
grouting from fading over time, ensuring a colorfast and extremely bright
finish.
Lastly, thanks to WATER REPELLENT SYSTEM, the Technokolla range
of grouting compounds becomes water repellent and can therefore be
used for swimming pools, tanks and so forth without being damaged by
the water they contain."

I know it's marketing speak, and they're going to big themselves up, but ...

Seems to me to have similar characteristics to Mapei, so using latex as well seems OTT. Unless, of course, their grout is not as good as they say it is. Cost is about £1 per kg. (incl. VAT)

P

Pebbs

Velcro, trust me I write specs for some of the biggest contracts, dont start messing with something you havent heard or worked with before. Go for the Mapei, its one less problem your going to have to deal with.

Reply to Adding Latex to Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen