Search the forum,

Discuss 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

Petty hate of mine tile shops specifying jobs when they haven't seen the room and are relying on information given to them by amateurs .
I know you said offering advice but that then gets translated as the man in the tile shop said .

Reaction score
Petty hate of mine tile shops specifying jobs when they haven't seen the room and are relying on information given to them by amateurs .
I know you said offering advice but that then gets translated as the man in the tile shop said .

mmmmm......dont really know how to take that tbh.....

said man in the tile shop (me) has been in this tile shop for 24 years.....hardly amateur......

oh, and ive seen the job, ive been twice. its a nice job and one i gave to the tiler......and the tiler has just as much experience as me if not more. but hes not afraid to ask, im not afraid to find out and it is how i do business.

D

Dumbo

mmmmm......dont really know how to take that tbh.....

said man in the tile shop (me) has been in this tile shop for 24 years.....hardly amateur......

oh, and ive seen the job, ive been twice. its a nice job and one i gave to the tiler......and the tiler has just as much experience as me if not more. but hes not afraid to ask, im not afraid to find out and it is how i do business.
I apologise you have seen the job usually advice is given by tile shop when job hasn't been seen . Specifying relying on information from amateurs being the householder .
you never ask the tile shop you deal with for advice @jcrtiling ?
No I don't . If I want to know if a product is suitable for a certain application I speak to relevant tech department and ask for written confirmation of what they are saying.

Reaction score
No I don't . If I want to know if a product is suitable for a certain application I speak to relevant tech department and ask for written confirmation of what they are saying.

i see, bit different here, the fixers round here kind of know we know what we are on about, so we try and help as much as we can.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a roofer was going to tile his kitchen floor. He asked me in the end. The Tile shop which stock Bal gave him rapid pourable glue at a million pounds a bag. How on earth would he have managed ? It was July ! Experienced staff in those shops are few and far between ! Well done Lee for knowing your onions :)

T

Tile Shop

And in I wade to retailers side of the net.

If they are not going to get asked questions about projects, maybe all tile shops should just be cash and carry then. Don't need experienced sales staff to offer recommendations. Just a Muppet who knows nothing keeping his eye on the self service checkout will be fine....... Reality check? Will the technical department you phone come and physically look every single job before they advise what you need? Do you really get every conversation in writing? And do you have that little confidence in what you are doing that you actually need it in writing?

Yes 99 times out of 100, the retailer can only go by the information they are given but that is the same as any technical department at the end of a phone line so there is no difference is there? But they both ask the right questions to paint the best possible picture and advise accordingly. If the client/tiler doesn't know the answer, send them off to find out.

If Lee hadn't seen the job but was told everything in great detail as to the substrate, prep and subsequent cracks appearing, would the advise he gives be any different? Probably not, but it doesn't automatically mean he's wrong. You should give most (won't say "all" cuz we know it's bollux) retailers some credit for knowing what they are talking about. Where do you think their training comes from? Couldn't possibly be from the very same technical departments you are quick to jump to for the answer...... or could it?

Reply to 200sqm floor, prep discussion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen